Rumor: Apple Launching High-End Gaming PC Next Year to Address Esports Market

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
According to a fresh rumor originating out of Taiwan, Apple is planning to enter the gaming hardware market. The decision was prompted by the increasing popularity of Esports.

Supply chain sources believe that Apple's gaming PC will either be a large-screen AIO (all-in-one) or laptop. It will also be very expensive (up to $5,000).

Apple could have an announcement during its Global Developer Conference (WWDC) next June.

With Apple having launched Apple Arcade this year, could Apple enter the higher end of gaming in the future? It's very possible if the rumor surfacing today becomes a reality.

The Pippin lives!

Not sure if the 'apple gouge' pricing would work in that market - I like to think that most PC gamers, if they're spending $5000 on a gaming PC, they'll be selective with its hardware or DIY.

I can’t really see this happening. Apple’s gaming platform is iOS, and its been wildly successful for them.

But I don’t see how they use that to get in on eSports in any fashion.

For OS X, they have tried a few times to get in on that (Remember the Halo reveal?). Now I think Apple is content with the slow merge of it to iOS on both the hardware and software side. I don’t think any of the major eSports titles even run on OS X.

Osx is dropping support for even basic opengl and sucks currently for game support. Why TF would you spend 5k on a gaming computer to go Apple? Serious. I think my PC is nearing 5k after cooling etc. But it would destroy anything Apple sells with their margins.

Yea I don't see this happening unless it is a faster system to play IOs games on via a 'native' emulation software or via additional hardware to actually run native IOS code at a very high speed.

I agree that throwing money at Apple is an idiotic approach to a gaming rig but there is another angle mentioned here. Schools have begun integrating ESports and Apple has had their foot in the door there for some time now. Apple is likely going to exploit that on numerous levels.

"Throughout the U.S., high schools are launching competitive gaming clubs, and even some colleges are offering scholarships to top players."

Last edited:
Probably just going to be a really large cell phone and will even come with a belt clip

I don't really see this happening, gaming is still mostly Windows based and I don't see a ton of gamers being interested in an Apple machine.

I think they are joining the crowded field of cloud gaming. They are probably going to make a " gaming" i device POS as a marketing tool more than anything else.
The igaming experience, play anywhere, and if you want the best experience buy this **** device!!.
I expect the device to be relatively low spec ( for gaming) might even be an overgrown i phone at overgrown prices.

I think they are joining the crowded field of cloud gaming. They are probably going to make a " gaming" i device POS as a marketing tool more than anything else.
The igaming experience, play anywhere, and if you want the best experience buy this **** device!!.
I expect the device to be relatively low spec ( for gaming) might even be an overgrown i phone at overgrown prices.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Their hardware isn't remotely close and even at $5k it's doubtful how much of their profit margin they're willing to give up in order to use high performance parts.

Apple Cloud Gaming so you can finally play all those decent PC games w/o using boot camp (being as that is far too difficult for most ppl).

Become a Patron!
Back