Rumors of Intel’s Discrete GPUs Not Going Well: Low Efficiency, Poor Drivers, Lack of Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The development of Intel's Xe-based discrete GPUs may not be going smoothly. According to Chiphell's resident leaker, wjm47196, progress "does not seem to be going well" for a variety of reasons, which include the efficiency of the architecture being "relatively low" and drivers needing "a lot of time" for improvement. Another claim is that AIB models will be nearly non-existent, as GPU manufacturers currently have no interest in Intel's product. Lastly, the 7 nm "Ponte Vecchio HPC GPU may not launch until 2022.

So coming back to the rumor, it is further stated that at present, the efficiency of Intel's Xe GPU architecture is relatively low and isn't looking really good compared to NVIDIA or even AMD's current GPUs which are based on 12nm & 7nm nodes, respectively. The Intel Xe GPUs for consumer solutions may either be based on 14nm or 10nm process but Intel has not confirmed this yet. Intel's 14nm production is already constrained as we speak with the blue team being unable to fulfill orders of major OEMs.

Roh roh....
... Gotta start somewhere.
So their igpu doesn't scale to a dgpu of much meat... I guess that can happen.
I am sure thier team will figure things out... Eventually.... I suspect their treatment of employees is hindering things... everywhere in the company.... I think it may continue to hinder things yet some more.

To make a product at currently competitive levels is insanely hard. The hardware alone is a nightmare to get right, and then you have the drivers which have huge amounts of accumulated wisdom in them. Just the number of weird workarounds you have to do for existing games is an overwhelming job itself.

Can't imagine that any part of getting off the ground with this will be easy. Hopefully at least one product will stick an create a launch point for them.

This isn't surprising. Building a GPU to compete with NVIDIA or AMD right out of the gate isn't easy.

Considering I've never once heard anything good about Intel's integrated graphics drivers it's no surprise if the drivers are a mess.

Intel has made a big stink at the beginning of the year over their new and improved gamer oriented driver — and then went more or less radio silent about it.

I guess it’s par to their once every other year driver release cadence

Yeah, they really shouldn't have bragged about the number of software engineers they had working for them.

Become a Patron!
Back