Ryzen “AF”: AMD Releasing Ryzen 5 1600 CPUs Manufactured under 12 Nm “Zen+” Process

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Bargain hunters may want to take another look at the Ryzen 5 1600.

AMD has begun selling a 12 nm, Zen+ variant of its 2017-era CPU. The upgrade could mean performance and efficiency gains for the chip, which was originally released as a 14 nm part.

The 12 nm version can be identified by the "AF" designation on the box (e.g., YD1600BB"AF"BOX) and chip itself. Previous editions had the "AE" label.

According to an early adopter, the AF variant can sustain boosted clocks for longer periods. The all-core boost algorithm may also perform better within certain applications, such as Cinebench.

[A] likely explanation is that these are simply Ryzen 5 2600 die that didn't make the cut for that class of chip due to frequency targets, but because they meet the criteria required for a 1600 model, it is simply more economical for AMD to use the die in the older chips.

Weird. I guess they had 1600 boxes left over and didn't want to release a 2550 SKU.

Okay missed this:
[A] likely explanation is that these are simply Ryzen 5 2600 die that didn't make the cut for that class of chip due to frequency targets, but because they meet the criteria required for a 1600 model, it is simply more economical for AMD to use the die in the older chips.
Makes sense now. I think that is the only logical explanation.

Let's get some benchmarks pilgrim ..

will there be any issues reading these chips in any AM4 motherboard you think?

I get they want to use up old stock but naming it back to a gen 1 chip is a bad move. Call it the 2550 or something

Become a Patron!
Back