Samsung CRG9 49" Widescreen - $899 Today (Updated - Prime Day)

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:
That appears to be a serious monitor!

I'll bet that is a sweet setup David.

Only issue I found with Woot is shipping time. It can take a month or so to receive your purchase.

I've got the same one as David. Overall it is a pretty awesome monitor. What I found out is that because of the limited dimming zones HDR does work but it did take some tweaking in NV CP to really get it to pop. The VRR free-sync is not g-sync certified but it will let you turn it on. However, a lot of flickering happens so I just leave it off and use V-Sync on/off as needed. It does not support DSC so in order to get HDR10 to truly work you have to lower the refresh to 100 Hz and then switch color depth to 10-bit. You can turn it on at 120 Hz/8-bit but you'll definitely notice the washed out colors so its best to sacrifice those 20 Hz if wanting them. Once all this is done there's a serious wow factor considering it's a VA panel. I've got a suite of 32:9 games(either natively supported or ones I found hex edit hacks for) that I've been replaying and such a great experience.

OMG you guys with your ultra widescreen gamerz monitorz..... I bought Acer 43" 4K monitor for $399 and it is awesomesauce. Civilization has never been better. 4K/60 is plenty for me, don't need 100hz+, not a competitive gamer. My "old" 1080ti does 4K games just fine.

I didnt realise this thread existed.
Whatever you do dont get one through amazon, the complaints I read are terrible because refurbs with faults are being sent as new.
Which brings up why you shouldnt buy a refurb.

I ordered one this week from a different store to be sure its new.
I know to check the box has not been opened before accepting delivery, a sure sign its a refurb.
Cant comment on it yet though cos Yodel arent sticking to the delivery date.

I didnt realise this thread existed.
Whatever you do dont get one through amazon, the complaints I read are terrible because refurbs with faults are being sent as new.
Which brings up why you shouldnt buy a refurb.

I ordered one this week from a different store to be sure its new.
I know to check the box has not been opened before accepting delivery, a sure sign its a refurb.
Cant comment on it yet though cos Yodel arent sticking to the delivery date.
I originally ordered a new one through them, thought everything was hunky-dory, then at one point my tracking simply stopped. Went through my own nightmare of chats with 'em to find out it was supposedly lost, then told not lost but damaged beyond deliverability. It took a few more then I got a refund. If I remember right I ended up getting mine from NewEgg(but I might be wrong there because I was checking everywhere at that point for oen).

Mine arrived quite late today and I spent a good few hours trying to get it to give any widescreen resolutions without success.
The driver util from Samsungs site was installed.
It worked with a custom 3840 res but was converting the base resolution of 1080p to widescreen.
Everything was there at 3840x1080 but horizontal res had pixels stretched despite everything being the correct size. At 5120x1440p nothing could be read. The display reported it was receiving 1920x1080 even though I was using the much higher custom res.
Then it dawned on me, the HDMI lead was coming from a cheap 1080p DP adapter, dur.
Strange it didnt complain, this display seems very capable at resizing.

After plugging in my Club 3D UHD DP to HDMI adapter it immediately gave me resolutions up to 4K which actually worked, but still no widescreen.
One reboot later my max res was 720p, lol.
I dont think its compatible.

With HDMI 2.0 direct from the graphics card, woohoo, everything works!
I'm amazed how good this display is at 3840x1080, its perfectly usable, incredible tbh.
I bet those still buying the older 1080p version of this display for £50 less will be kicking themselves when they read this.
Important for those that cant get a 3080/3090 or 6800XT card like me, 3840x1080 with 120Hz is a great res for a GTX 1080, you cant tell this res isnt native.

I haven't got a long DP cable yet so testing has been HDMI 2.0 only.
Its a great desktop display, I took to it immediately sat on my sofa. My mouse is fast enough to zip around the whole screen with ease (G502 hero), about 1 inch of travel end to end, on a sofa cushion.
5120x1440p res is a wow moment, so much estate. It seems a lot bigger than my UHD TV for real estate despite being ~10% less.
Text seems a little too small but is extremely sharp. I'm going to use this as exercise for my eyes to improve pinpoint focus, they've been lacking this for years on a 1080p monitor.
My eyes are about 1.1m away from the centre, further from the edges, a wide curved display

The screen is factory calibrated, a report is included in the menus.
Gamma spec 2.2 +/-10%, result 2.26
Greyscale DeltaE <=5, DeltaE max = 2.28
Measured with CA-310.
Colours looks really good, this is a vibrant display without HDR.

I tried HDR movies and its alright, does the job ok but I prefer my TV by a fair margin. It doesnt seem to go bright enough for my liking but I'm spoiled by HDR2000. It definitely switches into HDR mode. There might be a way to sort it because this display can go a TON brighter.
Gaming is altogether better (or at least with what I tried). I'm on windows 7 so not many games have HDR and even less have HDR worth using.
The only game tried so far is Farcry New Dawn, and wow! Setting Paper White to 300 (mid range) in game looks incredible. It looks as good as my TVs HDR!
And then ****, the ultra widescreen immersion, this display is something to behold.
Its so good, you have to try one if you are a serious gamer, not to be missed.

Wow!

(settling down now with a bit of wine before bed, I dont dare put a game on :))

oh yes, 120Hz and 100Hz work flawlessly.
I actually got a slightly higher benchmark result with vsync on when testing New Dawn with HDR at 100Hz on my GTX 1080.
Which btw barely ever drops below 60fps at full 5120x1440p res with HDR, at ultra settings!

ps
This display is mahoooossive!

Last edited:
Mine arrived quite late today and I spent a good few hours trying to get it to give any widescreen resolutions without success.
The driver util from Samsungs site was installed.
It worked with a custom 3840 res but was converting the base resolution of 1080p to widescreen.
Everything was there at 3840x1080 but horizontal res had pixels stretched despite everything being the correct size. At 5120x1440p nothing could be read. The display reported it was receiving 1920x1080 even though I was using the much higher custom res.
Then it dawned on me, the HDMI lead was coming from a cheap 1080p DP adapter, dur.
Strange it didnt complain, this display seems very capable at resizing.

After plugging in my Club 3D UHD DP to HDMI adapter it immediately gave me resolutions up to 4K which actually worked, but still no widescreen.
One reboot later my max res was 720p, lol.
I dont think its compatible.

With HDMI 2.0 direct from the graphics card, woohoo, everything works!
I'm amazed how good this display is at 3840x1080, its perfectly usable, incredible tbh.
I bet those still buying the older 1080p version for £50 less will be kicking themselves when they read this.
Important for those that cant get a 3080/3090 or 6800XT card like me, 3840x1080 with 120Hz is a great res for a GTX 1080, you cant tell this res isnt native.

I haven't got a long DP cable yet so testing has been HDMI 2.0 only.
Its a great desktop display, I took to it immediately sat on my sofa. My mouse is fast enough to zip around the whole screen with ease (G502 hero), about 1 inch of travel end to end, on a sofa cushion.
5120x1440p res is a wow moment, so much estate. It seems a lot bigger than my UHD TV for real estate despite being ~10% less.
Text seems a little too small but is extremely sharp. I'm going to use this as exercise for my eyes to improve pinpoint focus, they've been lacking this for years on a 1080p monitor.
My eyes are about 1.1m away.

The screen is factory calibrated, a report is included in the menus.
Gamma spec 2.2 +/-10%, result 2.26
Greyscale DeltaE <=5, DeltaE max = 2.28
Measured with CA-310.
Colours looks really good, this is a vibrant display without HDR.

I tried HDR movies and its alright, does the job ok but I prefer my TV by a fair margin. It doesnt seem to go bright enough for my liking but I'm spoiled by HDR2000. It definitely switches into HDR mode. There might be a way to sort it because this display can go a TON brighter.
Gaming is altogether better (or at least with what I tried). I'm on windows 7 so not many games have HDR and even less have HDR worth using.
The only game tried so far is Farcry New Dawn, and wow! Setting Paper White to 300 (mid range) in game looks incredible. It looks as good as my TVs HDR!
And then ****, the ultra widescreen immersion, this display is something to behold.
Its so good, you have to try one if you are a serious gamer, not to be missed.

Wow!

(settling down now with a bit of wine before bed, I dont dare put a game on :))

oh yes, 120Hz and 100Hz work flawlessly.
I actually got a slightly higher benchmark result with vsync on when testing New Dawn with HDR at 100Hz on my GTX 1080.
Which btw barely ever drops below 60fps at full 5120x1440p res with HDR, at ultra settings!
Never tried it with HDMI 2.0, only DP. I agree on t.v. HDR is better, but that's par for the course for now. I found these settings can really make a difference with HDR on this. I only use them for HDR.
NVIDIA CP>Adjust Desktop color setting>set to use NV settings
Brightness 55%
Gamma ~1.08
Digital Vibrance 53%

A review I read on rtings.com also said to make sure to have the local dimming set to auto as it only maxes nits in HDR with local dimming enabled. I don't have a calibrator but to my eyes things end up looking a lot closer to what I'm used to with my C9 and Z9D.

Yeah, the real estate view change is something most won't understand until they sit in front of one for a while. For the games that natively support it, it's a whole new world. Very VR like but without the need for a headset. I'll have to track it down again but you can google 32:9 hex hacks and you should come across some sites with hex edit codes for more than a few games out there. I did it for Witcher 3 and it's been amazing. The only real downside is that DLSS doesn't work at 5120x1440 yet so if you get into any games with RT you'll pretty much need a RTX3080 to pull it off or use lower resolutions. I've seen some that support 3840x1080(Control/Death Stranding). Crysis Remastered looks pretty amazing, as does the original(BTW GOG has the 64-bit version). RE2/RE3 remastered are a lot of fun with it too but I can't remember if I had to use hex codes for them. Pretty sure Mass Effect Andromeda works out of the box. I've tested a bunch of other games but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Oh, and Dirt Rally is a blast. Here's a link to a site that did a review with a list of games.

Never tried it with HDMI 2.0, only DP. I agree on t.v. HDR is better, but that's par for the course for now. I found these settings can really make a difference with HDR on this. I only use them for HDR.
NVIDIA CP>Adjust Desktop color setting>set to use NV settings
Brightness 55%
Gamma ~1.08
Digital Vibrance 53%

A review I read on rtings.com also said to make sure to have the local dimming set to auto as it only maxes nits in HDR with local dimming enabled. I don't have a calibrator but to my eyes things end up looking a lot closer to what I'm used to with my C9 and Z9D.

Yeah, the real estate view change is something most won't understand until they sit in front of one for a while. For the games that natively support it, it's a whole new world. Very VR like but without the need for a headset. I'll have to track it down again but you can google 32:9 hex hacks and you should come across some sites with hex edit codes for more than a few games out there. I did it for Witcher 3 and it's been amazing. The only real downside is that DLSS doesn't work at 5120x1440 yet so if you get into any games with RT you'll pretty much need a RTX3080 to pull it off or use lower resolutions. I've seen some that support 3840x1080(Control/Death Stranding). Crysis Remastered looks pretty amazing, as does the original(BTW GOG has the 64-bit version). RE2/RE3 remastered are a lot of fun with it too but I can't remember if I had to use hex codes for them. Pretty sure Mass Effect Andromeda works out of the box. I've tested a bunch of other games but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Oh, and Dirt Rally is a blast. Here's a link to a site that did a review with a list of games.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
Looks like I added Farcry New Dawn to the worthy games on that list :)
Having not long started it I'm stoked!

Cant wait to try Witcher 3, I'm very near the end of the 2nd expansion and that looks incredible without this display.
No way I can do 5120x1440p yet though.

Cant wait to try Witcher 3, I'm very near the end of the 2nd expansion and that looks incredible without this display.
You'll definitely want to find those hex codes. They fix the cutscenes and a few other things. The only downside is the hud stays in the center of the screen but it's not too bad. I've been pacing myself with it for the last month or two. A game I've played way, way, too much. I've replayed over several GPU(970 SLI, 1080 SLI, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti) and display(1080p>1440p>4K) upgrades plus HALK Hogan packs. The current playthrough is the 1st time using saves all the way from the first game. I started back in Feb/March with the first game when the lockdowns started happening with the pandemic but only got this monitor around June/July. The goal is to finish right before Cyberpunk comes out.

Checked Amazon and I'm not seeing that price for new at all. Just a FYI.

That's a nice price. I wouldn't use this for gaming, but for productivity it seems like a solid display.
This is the one that you put on top of the latest 49"er that you bought for gaming, for 'productivity' purposes :cool:

(I just use two 24" 1080p IPS monitors because they're so cheap)

Become a Patron!
Back