Samsung TVs Are the First in the Industry to Get 8K HDMI 2.1 Video Certification

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has announced that its 2019 and 2020 televisions have been fully certified for 8K HDMI 2.1 video.

The company began selling 8K televisions with HDMI 2.1 support earlier this year, but they did not receive the blessing of the HDMI Forum (and its licensing administrator) until recently. Samsung's 8K UHD displays can now be branded with the forum's seal of approval.

The Korean giant plans to release new 8K TVs in 2020, which will provide "a more realistic and dynamic experience."

With a bandwidth capability of 48 Gbps, HDMI 2.1 offers refresh rates as high as 60 Hz in 8K and 120 Hz in 4K. Resolutions of up to 10K are supported, as well as dynamic HDR formats.

Lee Hyo-gun, vice president of the video display business division of Samsung Electronics, said, “As the official certification of HDMI 2.1 is in full swing, various devices equipped with HDMI 2.1 such as console game consoles and Blu-ray players will be released. "As a technology leader in the TV industry, we will provide the best value to consumers by proactively responding to various technical standards that will be developed in the future."

We are barely getting any 4K content, and these clowns are already jumping to 8K instead of improving black levels and improving the color space. Looks like micro led is still quite a few years away.

We are barely getting any 4K content, and these clowns are already jumping to 8K instead of improving black levels and improving the color space. Looks like micro led is still quite a few years away.
100% this..
With so many other things improve
.. but no, yiiipeee 8k the new flashy tv speak.
Such nonsense. I will buy and 8k tv in 2030 or so, or never as there might never be 8k content other than the sample videos to sell you the tv.

I’m ok with this for the simple reason that it also includes 120Hz 4K

Well, they also pushed 4k tv for years before there was any 4k content so this doesn't surprise me.

Become a Patron!
Back