Samsung Unveils 34-Inch Odyssey OLED G8 Gaming Monitor with 175 Hz Refresh Rate

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has announced that it will be showing off its first OLED gaming monitor at this week's IFA 2022 show in Berlin, Germany.

Go to post

I was almost impressed until I saw the HDR400 spec. HDR400 is a noticeable upgrade from SDR but that's as much as I can give it. HDR gaming really needs to be closer to HDR1000 specs to really have a wow factor. Other than that, a pretty nice-looking display imo.

I was almost impressed until I saw the HDR400 spec. HDR400 is a noticeable upgrade from SDR but that's as much as I can give it. HDR gaming really needs to be closer to HDR1000 specs to really have a wow factor. Other than that, a pretty nice-looking display imo.
The HDR spec always downscores OLED because it only measures peak brightness, not really the delta between brightest and darkest.

Even the LG screens are "only" rated at HDR400.

It's part of the reason they started pushing the DisplayHDR "True Black" spec, but no one (other than LG) wants to support it.

It has HDR400 True black which is different from regular HDR400. It basically for oleds because they don't get as bright but because of their black levels can make HDR still pop because of the black levels.

I get the true black certification. It's actually even more complicated now with what like 3 different types of HDR now(not even counting brightness leverls)? VESA and the plain old HDR. and True black. Still, though, w/o listing the nits and just saying HDR400 true black isn't a very promising thing. Nits aren't the end all either but when they don't list it I've found it usually means less than 400, or in the case of HDR1000/HDR10, as we've seen with LG, usually less than 800.

I still think this looks good on paper but people will need to temper their expectations for brightness. I'll wait for the rtings review, btw I posted in another thread about a recent Samsung review they did a week or two ago.

I've been looking for a good OLED HDR10 monitor. Thinking it's about time to go 4k with the next generation expected to be able to comfortably drive 4k in modern games without a bleeding edge top tier GPU.

Become a Patron!
Back