Seagate to Launch 30+ Terabyte HDDs This Year

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's about to get even easier for data hoarders to maintain their growing collections in confined builds. Speaking during Seagate's Q2 2023 earnings call this week, Dave Mosley, Seagate CEO, confirmed that the company would be launching 30+ terabyte hard drives this year, a capacity that only the most exclusive and expensive SSDs can exceed or match. This level of capacity is made possible by Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR), a technology utilized by Seagate that leverages the heat from a laser. A slide that Seagate previously shared also suggests that 50+ TB HDDs will be available from the company by 2026.

See full article...

30tb HDD's are nice for cold storage of data. At least from an enterprise standpoint. Backing up to spinning disk makes a lot of sense... but honestly I get nervous with so much data on one single disk. Probably something I need to get over.

30tb HDD's are nice for cold storage of data. At least from an enterprise standpoint. Backing up to spinning disk makes a lot of sense... but honestly I get nervous with so much data on one single disk. Probably something I need to get over.

That's why you need two. For redundancy. 😁

You are correct, these are for cold/warm storage of archive data and backups. That being said these will sell like hot cakes. Rack space is a premium where density rules the day.

I know we're buying a few expansion units to fill with these once they're released. We have several petabytes of data that needs to be backed up and only so much rack space to make it happen.

I wish we could upgrade some of our SANs at work with new disks like this. But noooooo. The service contracts apparently cost more than the SANs did when they were new, so we just ditch the old ones and buy new ones. SIGHS LOUDLY. So wasteful.

I wish we could upgrade some of our SANs at work with new disks like this. But noooooo. The service contracts apparently cost more than the SANs did when they were new, so we just ditch the old ones and buy new ones. SIGHS LOUDLY. So wasteful.
Yea we looked at adding TWO 6tb drives to some of our SAN's a couple years ago. 14 thousand dollars for 2 drives. Easily most of that was for the service contract update.

Become a Patron!
Back