Sega Considers Pricing New AAA Games at $69.99: “We’re Keeping an Eye on Market Conditions”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sega launched Sonic Frontiers in November 2022 for $59.99, but the next Sonic game may be released at a higher price point. During a recent results briefing for analysts and institutional investors regarding the fiscal year ended March 2023, Sega Sammy executives were questioned as to why unit sales pricing for the new game had gone up, and one pointed out that AAA games are now sold at $69.99. "We would like to review the prices of titles that we believe are commensurate with price increases, while also keeping an eye on market conditions," the executive said. Sonic Frontiers, which currently has a Very Positive rating on Steam, has sold over 3.5 million copies so far, according to recent reports.

See full article...

I don't buy games until they're on sale at $20 or less (usually less), so all these dang game companies can charge whatever the f*ck they want for launch prices. Makes no difference to me.

I don't buy games until they're on sale at $20 or less (usually less), so all these dang game companies can charge whatever the f*ck they want for launch prices. Makes no difference to me.

My threshold is a lot lower, and I still have too many games I'm yet to play.

But I don't mind paying full price for a game I realy want
Same boat, there just haven't been many games out there lately that I really want.

I like to use the alcohol test.

Will I get more enjoyment out of the game, or a bottle of liquor that costs the same as the game?

And the answer to that is where my money goes.

Sega makes games?

I can't think of any title I think is worth more than $39.99, and I try to wait until I can buy them for under $29.99 on a good sale.

There are a fairly few franchises I would buy at launch at these full prices. We are talking fewer than I can count on one hand.

Pretty sure none of them are made by Sega :p

Last edited:
I can't think of any title I think is worth more than $39.99, and I try to wait until I can buy them for under $29.99 on a good sale.
$40 is like the extreme upper end for me. $40 to me is like a $60 launch price. I don't think any game should ever cost more than $40, and that's only for the games that give you a ridiculous amount of content for that price, and a ton of hours of gameplay. Like I said, I usually grab games for less than half that price.

There are a rarely few franchises I would buy at launch at these full prices. We are talking fewer than I can count on one hand.
I don't even know if I have that many. And I wouldn't apply that to entire franchises, just to individual games.

That's been on sale on Steam, but I can't bring myself to buy a Ubisoft game that requires their launcher.
My issue with that kind of thinking is that if I went that route I might as well stop playing games as most of the games I play require a different launcher. Other then the Boderlands series I haven't spent much time on steam games in recent years.

And if I buy a game for 15€ on the ubi launcher at least they get the 15€ and not 10€ and valve 5€

Then again, I also kept buying physical copies of games as long as I could so what do I know?

That's been on sale on Steam, but I can't bring myself to buy a Ubisoft game that requires their launcher.
I don't care that big publishers have their own launcher, games had launchers for a long time, having one / company instead of one / game is actually an improvement.

I honestly can't remember the last Sega game I bought and can't think of any that are on the horizon that I'm waiting for either so it won't really matter.

I'll pay full price for a game if I feel it has enough content, and great visuals, to keep me interested but there's only a small handful of developers that I trust for that. I don't usually go by the publishers but the reputation of those making the games and even then it's based on my personal experience with their past titles and what I know about the newest one. Case in point I've paid full price for Witcher 3 and the last two Metro Games but knowing that the next ones are going to be built using a different engine (UE5) I'm going to wait and see how they work out. I like UE5 but not jumping onto these new games at launch for full price until I hear how well the teams have adapted to it, considering how some studios have made a mess of their launches with it.

Capcom has left me feeling a little burnt though. I really enjoyed Biohazard, got it for a discount way after release, and was happy to pay full price for the 2nd remake. Did the same for the 3rd only to feel like it was more like DLC for the 2nd. Village redeemed them a bit but I feel its DLC should've been free considering how short it was. I've held off on the latest one and I'm thinking of waiting until it's discounted.

$40 is like the extreme upper end for me. $40 to me is like a $60 launch price. I don't think any game should ever cost more than $40, and that's only for the games that give you a ridiculous amount of content for that price, and a ton of hours of gameplay. Like I said, I usually grab games for less than half that price.

I don't even know if I have that many. And I wouldn't apply that to entire franchises, just to individual games.

There aren't many for me, but I will reluctantly play full price for the following franchises at launch, if I don't have anything I am deep into already from my queue:

- Sid Meier's Civilization series
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R series
- Deus Ex series (if we ever get another one)

That's about it.

Everything else I'll just wait for a sale

There aren't many for me, but I will reluctantly play full price for the following franchises at launch, if I don't have anything I am deep into already from my queue:

- Sid Meier's Civilization series
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R series
- Deus Ex series (if we ever get another one)

That's about it.

Everything else I'll just wait for a sale

Yup. But I also am a dummy and paid full price for the Civs..... 5 I have totally got my money's worth, and I still play it with Vox Populi mod (if you haven't tried this, DO IT NOW). Beyond Earth sucked though, and Civ 6 just rubs me the wrong way.... so I'll be waiting on the next one.

Sega wise... I have played some of the Yakuza games, but those were all bundle deals or freebies. I wouldn't pay real money for any of that.

Sega needs to get over themselves.... they are not an AAA studio.

Become a Patron!
Back