Some T.V.’s and Roku Devices to Lose Netflix Support Soon

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
netflix-1024x576.jpg

Some devices will cease getting support from Netflix in December. Specifically certain 2010 and 2011 model t.v.s will no longer be able to access the app. T.V.’s from Samsung, Panasonic, Vizio, and some Roku devices are among the known to be affected. The removal of the app from these is due to their outdated DRM implementations that either cannot, or will not, be updated from the manufacturers.

From Samsung,

” [Updated 11/8/19] Netflix has announced that due to technical limitations, as of December 2, 2019, the Netflix streaming service will no longer be supported on several consumer electronics devices, including some from Samsung. This change will impact select 2010 and 2011 Samsung Smart TV models that were sold in the U.S. and Canada. Affected devices will receive a notification reflecting this change. “

Guru3d has reported these Roku devices also being on the list: 2050x/2100x/200C/HD Player/SD Player/XR player/XD Player

This type of attrition is the unfortunate nature of aging smart devices. I’ve already seen one of our lower cost t.v.’s lose a number of functions in the three years we’ve owned it. It’s usually exciting when an app gets added but not so much when one is either downgraded or fully removed.

I don't have anything against smart TVs. I prefer to use the built-in apps when they are available and work, as it's fewer devices and controllers to deal with. My biggest complaint is that they are all closed off, and even across the same brand inconsistent in what they offer. But when they fall off support, yeah it's a shame, but at least the TV itself doesn't stop working.

That being said... you can turn all of it off or ignore it as well, and run through whatever 3rd party device you want. I don't think any manufacturer is charging a premium for their Smart features any longer, it's just become one of those marketing bullet points that you have to stay competitive to people who don't know any better.

I don't have anything against smart TVs. I prefer to use the built-in apps when they are available and work, as it's fewer devices and controllers to deal with. My biggest complaint is that they are all closed off, and even across the same brand inconsistent in what they offer. But when they fall off support, yeah it's a shame, but at least the TV itself doesn't stop working.

That being said... you can turn all of it off or ignore it as well, and run through whatever 3rd party device you want. I don't think any manufacturer is charging a premium for their Smart features any longer, it's just become one of those marketing bullet points that you have to stay competitive to people who don't know any better.

Yeah, I know I can disable them, and I do. It still kind of irks me that I have to buy all this junk I don't want just to get a competent screen.

I also make sure they never connect to my network under any circumstance, because quite frankly, I don't trust them.

Makes me wonder. How long until they start shipping these things with built in GSM simcards that dial home for telemetry purposes so you can never turn them off...

Those are some really old sets and equally old and low end Roku devices. If you're still rocking a 8 year old Roku it might be time to upgrade.

Yeah, I know I can disable them, and I do. It still kind of irks me that I have to buy all this junk I don't want just to get a competent screen.

I also make sure they never connect to my network under any circumstance, because quite frankly, I don't trust them.

Makes me wonder. How long until they start shipping these things with built in GSM simcards that dial home for telemetry purposes so you can never turn them off...
I made the mistake of connecting my parents tv to the net. They can't figure out how to make use of the smart features, but hey, it's their tv. Anyway, recently I had to redo their router and the tv status light underneath started blinking and just wouldn't stop unless it was connected back to the net. So I had to reconnect it so they wouldn't constantly complain about the blinking light.

I made the mistake of connecting my parents tv to the net. They can't figure out how to make use of the smart features, but hey, it's their tv. Anyway, recently I had to redo their router and the tv status light underneath started blinking and just wouldn't stop unless it was connected back to the net. So I had to reconnect it so they wouldn't constantly complain about the blinking light.
Sorry but I had to laugh. I recently had a similar experience with my parents and noticed their's wasn't connected either. Even more of a shock when I discovered that you basically had to pair a phone/tablet and use an app to access the t.v.'s full features. Ultimately decided it wasn't worth all the effort since they basically only want it to watch news and an occasional show.

Sorry but I had to laugh. I recently had a similar experience with my parents and noticed their's wasn't connected either. Even more of a shock when I discovered that you basically had to pair a phone/tablet and use an app to access the t.v.'s full features. Ultimately decided it wasn't worth all the effort since they basically only want it to watch news and an occasional show.

Jeez. Which brand was this? I need to avoid this one

Jeez. Which brand was this? I need to avoid this one
I'll have to check. I honestly don't remember. I remember it came with 2 remotes, one basic, one w/ a few more features, but then when I tried to turn on anything it wanted to me install an app on a phone/tablet. I think Vizio but not sure. Couldn't even navigate features from the basic buttons on the remote or behind the t.v. Total PIA. Considering how used I've gotten to navigating 2 to 3 dozen menu's on my LG's and Sony it was kind of embarrassing to get blocked by a dumb t.v. Heck, even our cheapo HiSense is easier to work with and that's one I was referencing above that's had apps downgraded since we bought it around 3 years ago. It's a 4k HDR and most apps either only work in 4k and some not even that anymore. If I plug something in thru HDMI it's all good though.

No offense taken. I'm actually surprised manufacturers haven't come up with a 'senior' tv like they have with cell phones. My parents' tv is a TCL Roku 4k hdr which replaced an older Samsung. Had the software on the Samsung been better they might have gotten used to the smart features but the lag in inputting any text was so ****ing slow they never used it. Blessing in disguise if you ask me.

Become a Patron!
Back