Sonic Frontiers Only Runs at 30 FPS on Xbox Series S

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Xbox Series S owners aren't happy with their port of Sonic Frontiers, as the new game, which pitches Sega's mascot into an open-world-ish environment, only runs at 30 FPS on Microsoft's weaker Xbox console, according to various complaints from users on social media who have noted the disappointing level of performance, particularly for a franchise that's mainly about speeding.

See full article...

I guess the good news being that it sounds like Sega intends for the S version to be 60fps and it's a bug that's locking it to 30fps.

I really liked the idea behind the S series (same performance of an X, but at a lower res), but it sounds like devs are having a hard time hitting that metric. They probably should've just slightly cut down the X and remove the disc drive (or waited a bit once manufacturing costs lowered to release a lower end 'Slim' version of the series).

I really liked the idea behind the S series
Yeah, I can see what they were attempting to do - but it just doesn't make sense putting out a "next gen" console that has less power than your current gen. The S has less capable GPU than the older One Pro. That is the part that I think they fell down on.

What they should have done is just re-configured the One Pro and cut the cost down and kept it as the lesser-cost option -- drop the RT, maybe change out the HDD for an SDD if you want to keep "high speed storage" thing in some capacity. They already have the backwards compatibility thing - the only thing that really would be missing is Raytracing, and the S doesn't really have the chops to do it anyway.

More info:

Related article: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...-versions-tested-and-only-three-deliver-60fps (Haven't watched or read yet, well I kinda skimmed some of the article, mainly the PC stuff.)

I expected 30fps on Switch, but on XBSS?!?!?!!!!

The S has less capable GPU than the older One Pro. That is the part that I think they fell down on.
Yeah, and DF has often shown how the XB1X can perform better and have higher image quality than the XBSS, which is some bullshit. A last-gen system should never overpower a current-gen system in any way.

I really liked the idea behind the S series...
I don't. I don't understand why it exists. Always seemed like a stupid-@ss idea to me.

I don't. I don't understand why it exists. Always seemed like a stupid-@ss idea to me.

The way I understood it - was that it was supposed to be the same experience as the Series X but at a lower resolution. That, combined with GamePass would have made it a perfect gift for a kid/casual.

But with the way devs continually have problems developing for the Series S, I think MS clawed back the specifications too much. IMO, Sony had the better strategy for their value console (digital edition). MS should've done a similar approach, release a digital only, disc-less console (perhaps with a separate external optical drive option, ala HD DVD drive and the 360) for $100 cheaper. Or, as I mentioned earlier, wait until manufacturing matured and they could've released a version of Series S that didn't make so many hardware cuts.

But with the way devs continually have problems developing for the Series S
Part of it is I think MS imagined devs aiming for the S and then scaling up, but they are instead (like they always do) aiming for the top and then having problems scaling down.

Just a hunch. I dunno why MS thought devs might do it the other way.

Become a Patron!
Back