Sony Purchases Marvel's Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank Developer Insomniac Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sony Interactive Entertainment has added another first-party development studio to its belt. Joining the likes of Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, and Sucker Punch Productions is Insomniac Games, creator of the highly successful Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance franchises.

Insomniac was also responsible for one of the PlayStation 4's biggest 2018 hits, Marvel's Spider-Man. The action-adventure superhero title has sold more than 13.2 million copies as of July 28, 2019.

"Insomniac Games is one of the most highly-acclaimed development studios in the industry and their legacy of best-in class storytelling and gameplay is unparalleled," said Shawn Layden, Chairman, SIE WWS. "We have enjoyed a strong collaborative partnership with the studio for many years, and are thrilled to officially welcome them to the Worldwide Studios family."

It'll probably be good for Insomniac Games. Sony seems to treat their development studios well unlike another company that doesn't need to be mentioned. My only complaint is that Spider-Man has a long history of having the best iterations on the consoles only, at least since the 1st movie anyway. There are a couple of exceptions but not many.

So Insomniac goes back to being a Sony second party company huh? Interesting. I remember when they and Naughty Dog used to be in the same building, back during the Jak and Daxter and original R&C days. Used to include easter eggs referencing **** from each other's games. Insomniac didn't really seem to do much on their own. I guess it was inevitable they would come back under Sony's wing. Although I guess this means they won't be doing multiplatform stuff anymore. Probably back to just Sony systems. I always wanted to work for Ted Price. He knows how to take care of his own. Insomniac was often voted a really great place to work.

So Insomniac goes back to being a Sony second party company huh? Interesting. I remember when they and Naughty Dog used to be in the same building, back during the Jak and Daxter and original R&C days. Used to include easter eggs referencing **** from each other's games. Insomniac didn't really seem to do much on their own. I guess it was inevitable they would come back under Sony's wing. Although I guess this means they won't be doing multiplatform stuff anymore. Probably back to just Sony systems. I always wanted to work for Ted Price. He knows how to take care of his own. Insomniac was often voted a really great place to work.

Too cool. Didn't know that bit of history but I had a roommate, back in the day, that had Jak and Daxter. Game was awesome. That, for me, was towards the end of the last golden age of consoles.

Become a Patron!
Back