Sony Shutting Down PlayStation Vue on January 30, 2020

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
So long, PlayStation Vue. Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that it will be shutting down the streaming television service on January 30, 2020 due to the intricacies of the Pay TV industry and expense of content/network deals. This was foreshadowed in a report last week that claimed Sony was trying to find a buyer for Vue.

We are very proud of what PlayStation Vue was able to accomplish. We had ambitious goals for how our service could change how people watch TV, showcasing PlayStation’s ability to innovate in a brand-new category within the Pay TV industry. We want to thank all of our customers, some of whom have been with us since PlayStation Vue’s launch in 2015.

Seems like streaming services have kinda plateaued. I cut the cord back in 2013 and went with Netflix and Amazon Prime and still to this day all I use it Netflix and Amazon Prime. I know there are tons of other services and options out there but they've all kinda got the same stuff.

I have been watching Youtube on my TV a lot more now....probably the majority of what I watch is off there. There are so many good channels on Youtube now that you can keep yourself occupied for several hours just with it.

I think that by this time next year we'll see quite a bit of changes in the streaming ecosystem. Once Disney+ and the Warner service launch I'd expect things to start changing further.

Just the Cable and entertainment industry trying to suck the life blood out of what should have been a seamless transition to centralized streaming service providers as reasonable costs.

You watch. Everything will be ala carte, but not at reasonable costs. It's already happening. Disney+, HBO Go, CBS All Access. Pretty soon it'll cost you $300+ a month to get all your streaming content compared to $150 a month for cable TV service.

Just the Cable and entertainment industry trying to suck the life blood out of what should have been a seamless transition to centralized streaming service providers as reasonable costs.

You watch. Everything will be ala carte, but not at reasonable costs. It's already happening. Disney+, HBO Go, CBS All Access. Pretty soon it'll cost you $300+ a month to get all your streaming content compared to $150 a month for cable TV service.
I hate to say it but mostly agree. Saw it coming years ago once they started popping up after Netflix/Prime as more individualized packages. Told my wife this morning that we'll be dropping cable once Disney launches.

On the plus side(pun not intended), streaming will help us escape the physical restrictions of OTA resolutions/audio options. We'll no longer have to wait for an industry that's incapable of keeping up with tech to upgrade.

We had PS Vue for a while.

Every time they updated the AppleTV app it would **** something up for a week.

We eventually cancelled.

The one thing I disagree is.. cable is garbage, garbage in such a level I can't see a comparison in value, no matter what not matter the cost of a combination of streaming services. Free. Free should be the price of ad-laden cable. Free, not 1 dollar a month, not rent the box and get free service. No free, with free boxes with free installation, with free service calls. Zero.
**** cable and their ****ing flood of ads... They took it to a point that I genuinely can't follow whatever I was watching that wasn't ads.. with such a horrible experience, I am never, ever paying for cable.
Cable is dead, dead dead, can't believe they haven't figured this out, and have yet to try to save it as the ad conduit it is and make it free.
As an ad service, cable has a lot of value, but nothing else.
If this VUE service is one of those where you get basically cable with ads over the internet, of course its going to fail, all of them will, its the same problen as cable, its worthless.

Become a Patron!
Back