Starfield Delayed to September 2023, Deep-Dive Showcase Scheduled for June

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Starfield fans will have to wait a little longer before they can adventure out into the expanses of space. Speaking as part of an enigmatic trailer that includes a bit of new gameplay footage for the space-faring RPG, game director Todd Howard confirmed that Starfield will now arrive exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC on September 6, 2023, including Xbox Game Pass, where subscribers will be able to play the highly anticipated title on day one. Bethesda plans to share more details for the game during Starfield Direct, an upcoming deep-dive showcase that is scheduled to premiere in June.

See full article...

Delayed? Why, when was it supposed to come out? I don't remember a concrete date.

Ah, I found it they said "first half of 2023"

It was originally supposed to be out Nov of last year.

Its original release date was planned for November 11, 2022. Bethesda announced the delay in May 2022, saying that "The teams at Arkane Austin (Redfall) and Bethesda Game Studios (Starfield) have incredible ambitions for their games, and we want to ensure that you receive the best, most polished versions of them." It was then expected in the first half of 2023 and scooched just a bit past with an official September date announcement.

Honestly... I'm busy with work so much I don't care . I'll probably pre order it because.. but I'm a little hesitant.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to playing this sooner rather than later.

But that said, I'd rather have a delayed title with a decent launch, than a ****ty launch because it was rushed.

Seems like all the titles I am looking forward to right now are being delayed.

I was really looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 as well. At least they have a really good reason why they are delayed :p

I would get a huge kick out of a playable stalker 2 ukraine war mod. This seems like an opportunity that cannot be missed.

But that said, I'd rather have a delayed title with a decent launch, than a ****ty launch because it was rushed.
There are no decent launches. A delay means they can't put it out even if they rush. So it will still be rushed and full of bugs at release. There is no executive who dares to delay a game's launch when it is already presentable to a degree. The board / investors would eat them alive.

There are no decent launches. A delay means they can't put it out even if they rush. So it will still be rushed and full of bugs at release. There is no executive who dares to delay a game's launch when it is already presentable to a degree. The board / investors would eat them alive.

Is Chris Roberts your hero? ;)

Chris Roberts investors don't want to hold him accountable. There should've been a class action against him long ago.

My take is that he is a talented game visionary, but not necessarily a operational leader.

Lots of people seem to be like this.

It's not that they are bad people, but they assume making a game is easier than it is, and when the schedule slips they can't meet their commitments.

Some (like former Red Sox pitcher Curt Shilling who wasted a ton of Rhode Island seed funding on a failed gaming company) could be excused for not understanding the industry, but one might argue that Roberts should have known better. I mean, after all he has been in this industry his entire career.

That said, just because someone is a talented programmer, or has good ideas for games does not mean they are a good project manager.

I guess this is jut a longwinded way of saying that I don't think that Chris Roberts is defrauding anyone, I think he is just the wrong person for the day to day operational leadership of an effort.

Years ago the management philosophy book du jour was called the "Strengthsfinder". It suggested we had gotten it wrong all along when we focused on improving on things we are weak at. It suggested that we instead should focus on what we are good at, and try to hire people to help us with the things we are not good at.

Roberts needs to get himself one or a few solid day to day operational managers and/or project managers to help map out what it takes to get the project to conclusion and then execute on it.

Lets not forget that back in the day John Carmack was much like Chris Roberts. He coined the phrase "when it's done" when asked when Doom or other games would be released. He was able to actually finish those projects though.

My take is that he is a talented game visionary, but not necessarily a operational leader.
That's what I thought too until I looked into him more prompted by star citizen. He is scum was my takeway, and wish I had known that before signing up for a copy of Squadron 42.
Lots of people seem to be like this.
That's for sure
It's not that they are bad people, but they assume making a game is easier than it is, and when the schedule slips they can't meet their commitments.
There is more than that going on at CIG, blatant cronyism, criminal mismanagement, toxic workplace culture.
Look into Chris Roberts history with the German government where he narrowly avoided going to jail for defrauding them. Funneling out state funds intended to boost local filmmaking.
But one might argue that Roberts should have known better.
The only concession that I'm willing to make is that he might not intended it to be a scam from the get go, but then saw $ signs and decided that perpetual feature creep is a more desirable business strategy than actually striving to deliver a complete game.
That said, just because someone is a talented programmer, or has good ideas for games does not mean they are a good project manager.
And just because someone is a talented game visionary, doesn't mean he cannot be deliberately misleading people.
I guess this is jut a longwinded way of saying that I don't think that Chris Roberts is defrauding anyone, I think he is just the wrong person for the day to day operational leadership of an effort.
You might argue that he has not defrauded anyone who signed up for star citizen, but the same cannot be said for the original kickstarter campaign which pitched Squadron42 as the main title and primary goal. Which then they continually lied about, promising that it was almost ready and will be playable within months for years. Of course I have no proof but I concluded by 2016 that SQ42 is pure vaporware, there is no version of the game, let alone one close to being playable, never was.

Become a Patron!
Back