TechPowerUp Reviews Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Super Strix OC Edition

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
super-2080-strix-oc-1024x696.jpg

Source: Asus.com

TechPowerUp
recently reviewed the Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Super Strix OC edition. Try saying that 3 times fast. This card is more aimed at someone less concerned about performance versus price metrics and more interested in frames per second. It is also priced at close to half that of it’s Strix 2080TI cousins. I recommend those interested in the best bang for their buck to take a stroll over to Brent’s review of the Geforce RTX 2070 Super Strix OC here.

Having said all that if you’re in the market and have a bit of some extra money to put into some luxury gaming, but don’t want to break the bank, then this card might be for you. The Asus Strix line is their flagship tier models and come with the best they have to offer along with the added costs. One can normally expect a card that is generously overclocked compared to a FE edition while also providing impressive volume levels to boot. For those interested in getting even more performance, and not worried about a little more noise, their cards usually offer even more headroom to overclock.

The entire super line was a bit of a refresh as well as an answer to AMD’s newly released cards. The first RTX 2080’s were so close in performance to a 1080TI many wondered why even bother. Happy to say that this Strix OC super has definitely pulled ahead now even though some will still not be swayed by the improvements. They did one comparison in Unigine Heaven and saw over 18 fps difference compared between stock clocks of both. When they overclocked this card the gap widened to nearly 30 fps. When not using ray tracing, with some compromises, you will most definitely approach 50-60 fps in 4k. Unfortunately with only 8GB of vram it is obvious the card is only meant to give a taste of 4k but that’s o.k. At 1440p it really does strut it’s stuff with commonly hitting over 100 fps in demanding games and still able to give some ray tracing options to boot.

Here’s a couple of circuit board shots that TechPowerUp has generously allowed to be used.
front.jpg

Source: TechPowerUp

back.jpg

Source: TechPowerUp

Thanks to TPU for their efforts in reviewing this card and please take trip over there to see their many benches with it.

That's an impressive card. If I didn't already have a 2080 I would be all about it.

That's an impressive card. If I didn't already have a 2080 I would be all about it.
If I had anything less than the 1080TI in my other rig I'd upgrade to it. Sure at ~$800 it isn't cheap but you're getting some pretty significant performance on the 1440p level. As is though, I can't really justify it but I still think it's a nice card.

Become a Patron!
Back