TecLab Made an RTX 2080 Ti SUPER by Swapping in 16 Gbps Modules

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
TecLab, a professional overclocking team from Brazil, has laid claim to the world's first NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SUPER. How'd they manage that? Well, they "simply" took out the memory from their RTX 2080 Ti and replaced it with eleven 16 Gbps modules from a GALAX RTX 2080 SUPER. TechLab's video outlines the process and proves that it works: the custom variant manages to hit 2250 MHz, or 17200 MHz effective speed. That's 3200 MHz higher than the base 2080 Ti's 14 GHz.

What TecLab did was quite straightforward. They replaced eleven 16 Gbps modules from GALAX RTX 2080 SUPER and mounted them on a 2080 Ti. Since RTX 2080 Ti features 11GB (14 Gbps) memory, this project took a sacrifice from two 2080 SUPER (each with 8GB of 16 Gbps modules). But the team from TecLab is known for ‘no risk no fun’ approach, so they went ahead anyway.

While I appreciate WHAT they did the fact is like Liquid Nitrogen cooling it makes little to no overall difference.

While I appreciate WHAT they did the fact is like Liquid Nitrogen cooling it makes little to no overall difference.
I mostly agree with you especially since LN2 is ridiculous on so many levels but in my experiences with my 2080TI having this natively faster ram might actually help with cooling the card as a whole and in turn easier overclocking the core. I've got mine OC'd to an effective 15Ghz for the mem clock and then holding 2077Mhz-2130Mhz on the core, depending on temps, but usually needing to keep my fans at 100% to hold it. If I didn't have to OC the Vram as well then it might be easier to focus on the core. All theory though.

As far as the faster speed helping the core any in terms of speed. I've got my doubts. Haven't heard too many stories of these chips getting above 2200Mhz. I will say that once I got the mem clock up to 15Ghz the core seemed easier to hold over 2100Mhz. At that point it's really been just about temps though.

That's cool I guess, but I have always found that increases in RAM speed only results in very small performance improvements.

The real benefit is in the core. Either more of them or clocking them higher.

That's cool I guess, but I have always found that increases in RAM speed only results in very small performance improvements.
Normally I've found the same but with the 2080 TI I found it was seemed to hold that 2070-2130 much easier. When I tried with stock mem clock settings it was like hitting a wall at around 2000 Mhz for the core. Once I put even 500 Mhz on the memory it began to make a difference.

Become a Patron!
Back