Tesla Recalls Nearly 130,000 Vehicles Due to Overheating Ryzen APUs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Tesla has recalled nearly 130,000 of its 2021 and 2022 vehicles due to an overheating issue discovered with their Ryzen APUs, which the electric automaker sought from AMD to power their fancy infotainment systems.

Go to post

Sounds like they didn't give them adequate cooling. I wonder what was designed first the APU or the Cooler?

Being in the car business I don't like to poke fun at other makes for recalls because no one manufacturer is perfect, but go to admit this is pretty funny.

If I can build a system and keep thermals under control you'd think an engineering company with 110,000 employees should be able to figure it out.

Come on, adequately cooling silicon chips is not rocket science.

If I can build a system and keep thermals under control you'd think an engineering company with 110,000 employees should be able to figure it out.

Come on, adequately cooling silicon chips is not rocket science.

I mean considering both sciences are dealing with directed ejection of heat in a specified target area... they ARE similar. ;)

Cutting corners....
I believe that mass producing cars is a master class in the art of cutting corners (without looking too much like you are cutting corners).

Tesla was never going to go out and put $90 Noctua cooler on one of these things. If a mass-produced car can save ten cents on a part, that's considered a big deal.

I would say it's more difficult than cooling the CPU in your desktop -- a car sitting in a black asphalt parking lot in Arizona in the middle of the day in July is a vastly different environment, but I would expect my car to still operate, and not have to listen to a jet engine of a cooler going off inside my dashboard.

Still, it is inexcusable.

I believe that mass producing cars is a master class in the art of cutting corners (without looking too much like you are cutting corners).

Tesla was never going to go out and put $90 Noctua cooler on one of these things. If a mass-produced car can save ten cents on a part, that's considered a big deal.

I would say it's more difficult than cooling the CPU in your desktop -- a car sitting in a black asphalt parking lot in Arizona in the middle of the day in July is a vastly different environment, but I would expect my car to still operate, and not have to listen to a jet engine of a cooler going off inside my dashboard.

Still, it is inexcusable.

There are certainly some design challenges, especially since car interiors get pretty hot during the summer, but there are some opportunities too.

I - for one - would look at heatpipes to, and heatsinks in the ducts used for the cars climate control system as one option, or at the very least direct some of that airflow over the computer unit.

The thing is, regardless of the challenges, this should have been stress tested before the car was ever sold.

Become a Patron!
Back