Tesla Semi Delayed to 2022 Due to Supply Chain Challenges

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
tesla-semi-silver-1024x576.jpg
Image: Tesla

Tesla’s Semi truck has been delayed to 2022 due to the ongoing chip shortage and limited battery availability, the company revealed following its Q2 earnings call this week. Elon Musk had previously spoken about potential complications in meeting demand with Tesla’s 4680 style cells earlier in 2021, so the processor shortage is a new reason. This marks the third time since the pandemic began that the Tesla Semi has been delayed. With such vehicles being key to logistics, the delay is somewhat ironic.

The company cites both the ongoing global processor shortage and its own currently-limited battery production capability for the new 4680 style cells as contributing to its decision. 

Source: TechCrunch (via...

Continue reading...

And nowhere to be seen cybertruck... But that's okay, i may be able to afford it better in 5 years.

I don't think the Cybertruck had the mass appeal that tesla was hoping for. that first failed demonstration of the window didn't help either.

I'm all for EV's, I'm eyeing a PHEV for our next car. But an all-electric truck... it has one major drawback - the range will absolutely tank when you haul or tow, and while I don't always haul or tow stuff with my truck, I do often enough that I suspect an all-electric truck just wouldn't be workable for what I do.

A PHEV though - yeah, absolutely. I could do a truck that way, and would love to see some compelling ones hit the market. That way if I'm towing a trailer I don't have to stop every hour to recharge for another 30 minutes - I just have to stop for gas every 3-4 hours.

Now, I also realize the Tesla Cybertruck - it's not exactly meant to be a work or offroad truck. It's more of an asphalt queen - although I'm sure plenty will at least test it's chops. But you aren't going to see contractors buying them out in droves for fleets.

The later it comes out the later people realize how useless it actually is in practice. Long haul trucking just doesn't make any sense with electric trucks. The weight of the batteries kill 50% of carrying capacity. And you can only go to places with superchargers. Not practical at all. And local delivery is better served with light to medium trucks without trailers.

BTW did anybody catch a glimpse of tesla street testing trucks yet? I don't recall. Which to me suggests vaporware. This thing only exists as artists renderings, and a single demo unit running around solo, never seen with a trailer attached to it.

Last edited:
Yeah, electric box trucks for local delivery make a good deal of sense. Lots of low mileage trips, lots of start and stop traffic with lots of idle time, and good opportunities at stops to get a little bit of charging in here and there.

I can see why you would want to push long haul - it’s easy to set up autonomous driving when it’s 90% straight and open Interstate, there are a limited number of highly trafficked spots to install charging, and the drivers have to take mandatory rest breaks which are perfect to align to charge cycles.

But I don’t think we have the power density to align the drive time with the charge cycle under load yet, and that is a huge issue.

Become a Patron!
Back