Thanks, AMD: Intel’s New Cascade Lake-X Series CPUs Announced with Massive Price Cuts

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has lifted the embargo for its latest stack of HEDT CPUs, Cascade Lake-X. Their level of performance is still up in the air, but one attractive feature will certainly be pricing: some of the Cascade Lake-X parts are nearly 50% cheaper than their last-generation Skylake-X brethren.

Enthusiasts can essentially get an 18-core Intel chip for around $1000 now (Core i9-10980XE 18C/36T). A few of the improvements that Cascade Lake-X introduces is support for 256 GB of quad-channel DDR4 2933 MHz memory (up from 2666 MHz), four additional PCIe 3.0 lanes (48 instead of 44), and 2.5 G ethernet and Wi-Fi 6 via new X299 motherboards.

The main point that needs to be hammered home with this release is that Intel's pricing has seen a dramatic shift with Cascade Lake-X. Now, 18-core offering costs less than their last-generation 10-core model, delivering 80% more cores for less money. Intel is offering a lot more value with X299 this generation, which is a huge step in the right direction from a consumer's standpoint.

And people wonder why I root for AMD and buy the products... Don't get it confused. I don't really care about AMD at an emotional level but I want AMD to continue succeeding so Nvidia has to become competitive in its pricing.

Intel had been offering top end CPU's at $1,000 for over a decade. In one generation it went to $1,599 with Broadwell-E. The previous Haswell-E CPU was $1,099. The very next generation increased again to $1,899 for the top end model. It is and always was price gouging because Intel could get away with it. With a new Threadripper on the horizon, Intel knows it can't keep doing that and expect people to buy their stuff.

Intel had been offering top end CPU's at $1,000 for over a decade. In one generation it went to $1,599 with Broadwell-E. The previous Haswell-E CPU was $1,099. The very next generation increased again to $1,899 for the top end model. It is and always was price gouging because Intel could get away with it. With a new Threadripper on the horizon, Intel knows it can't keep doing that and expect people to buy their stuff.
They should have just taken the L. X299 is dead.

Amazing what happens when you no longer have a de-facto virtual monopoly in the marketplace

Become a Patron!
Back