The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Launches on May 25 with NVIDIA DLSS 3, DLAA, and Reflex: Up to 169 FPS on GeForce RTX 40 Series at 4K

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA has announced that The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will be launching this week with DLSS 3 and a few of the company's other technologies, including DLAA, an AI-based anti-aliasing mode that promises to maximize image quality. According to a set of benchmarks that NVIDIA shared today, GeForce RTX 40 Series users can reach frame rates of up to 169 FPS in The Lord of the Rings: Gollum at 4K with all settings maxed out and ray tracing options enabled under DLSS 3's Performance Mode, something that would amount to a 3.5x increase in performance. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum releases this Thursday, May 25, in standard ($49.99) and premium ($59.99) editions.

See full article...

I've no interest in playing as Gollum.... and I really don't get it... Perhaps the story will be amazing I just don't feel it right now.

I might have to go get that cyberpunk cat game...

Prequels are good, as long as you play a character / story arc that is open ended. But I find it pointless to play games where you already know the ultimate fate of the player character.

I'm mixed, at best, for this one. I hope to hear good things and if I read enough positive things about it I might pick it up in the fall, but I do have doubts about it. To me, it seems like a Switch game that's had some upgrades in order to launch it on PC. I know that's not the case but that's what it reminds me of. I agree that with prequels knowing how it'll end can take away the fun but if it's been written and made well enough I can enjoy them.

Meanwhile just about done with The Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition (just kind of putting it around before the final battle) and did some play testing with the new rig (5800X3D/3090 Ti) in the cave last weekend with Hogwarts, it passed with flying colors so that's next on my plate and really looking forward to playing it in there.

I've no interest in playing as Gollum.... and I really don't get it...
I think they were just running with the energy/momentum from the Mordor games. I only played the first but it had a good amount of Gollum in it.

Yea but Gollum was just something you interacted with... I don't recall a part of the first one at least where you WERE gollum. that would have turned me off of the game.

Meanwhile just about done with The Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition (just kind of putting it around before the final battle) and did some play testing with the new rig (5800X3D/3090 Ti) in the cave last weekend with Hogwarts, it passed with flying colors so that's next on my plate and really looking forward to playing it in there.
I completely forgot about Hogwarts, well not literally, but I haven't played it since February. I came to a point about 20 hours in where I had no main story missions open to me, just a bunch of fetch and collection side missions. I was already hanging on by a thread by then, because the main story failed to grip me, so I had zero emotional investment in the story or the characters.

The NPCs aren't that likeable, they feel like cardboard cutouts, and your own character is just a blank slate with no backstory or personality to speak of.

And the world while looks great, it felt like Skyrim, meaning you've seen one dungeon, you seen em all. Exploration was not very rewarding in of itself, and not even viable most of the time due to level walls. You wander too far off the beaten path you encounter enemies that are too high level to contend with.

Last edited:
I completely forgot about Hogwarts, well not literally, but I haven't played it since February. I came to a point about 20 hours in where I had no main story missions open to me, just a bunch of fetch and collection side missions. I was already hanging on by a thread by then, because the main story failed to grip me, so I had zero emotional investment in the story or the characters.

The NPCs aren't that likeable, they feel like cardboard cutouts, and your own character is just a blank slate with no backstory or personality to speak of.

And the world while looks great, it felt like Skyrim, meaning you've seen one dungeon, you seen em all. Exploration was not very rewarding in of itself, and not even viable most of the time due to level walls. You wander too far off the beaten path you encounter enemies that are too high level to contend with.
Good to know. I put maybe 1-2 hours into it right after launch (I got as far as fixing that statue in the garden and a couple of other side things) just to do some testing on the other rigs and get a feel for it but haven't gone back. I've found in recent years that I prefer to play one major campaign-type game at a time so I can really get into it.

Well, if I get bored I can always bounce over to the Dead Space remake and I'm a little curious about the latest Resident Evil game plus I've been itching to do a replay of HZD.

Man I enjoyed the crap out of HWL. I probably have 60ish hours in... lets see. Nope 88.7.

There is a lot to do, and the NPC's I feel get a LOT better further into the game. At first you're just learning.

If you HATE exploring in game to find stuff, and don't care for the 'Hogwarts' aesthetic then yea skip it.

Man I enjoyed the crap out of HWL. I probably have 60ish hours in... lets see. Nope 88.7.

There is a lot to do, and the NPC's I feel get a LOT better further into the game. At first you're just learning.

If you HATE exploring in game to find stuff, and don't care for the 'Hogwarts' aesthetic then yea skip it.
Good to know as well. I'm hoping for this kind of experience because I am the kind to walk around and check everything out. I've often joked that if I did MMO wargames, that I'd be the one constantly getting shot because I'd be walking up to a building or some such just to stop and look at the textures or design.

Good to know as well. I'm hoping for this kind of experience because I am the kind to walk around and check everything out. I've often joked that if I did MMO wargames, that I'd be the one constantly getting shot because I'd be walking up to a building or some such just to stop and look at the textures or design.
Oh yes I'm an explore first kind of gamer. I love to find the easter eggs over pure content.

Become a Patron!
Back