The Lord of the Rings: Gollum Manages to Become One of the Lowest-Rated Games of 2023

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum has achieved to be yet another disastrous game launch in 2023 with an abundance of reviews slamming it. VGC reports that from consoles to PC there doesn't seem to be much, if any, positive, things being said for the game. Within days of release, it is already towards the bottom of the list on Metacritic and OpenCritic. From game-breaking bugs that had been reported by early reviewers before release, to criticisms of a dull story, mediocre graphics that look dated, clunky gameplay, and, of course, unoptimized PC performance, the list of bad things to say about the game goes on and on.

As has become all-too-common in the last few years there has been an apology issued regarding the game's launch state. At this point, gamers are probably growing increasingly numb from such things in light of their frequency of occurrence.

See full article...

I have no interest in trying this game, and really up until now I never even heard of it.

Gollum is not just a "terrible launch" it is a genuinely terrible game regardless of its launch state.

I've seen a video review and I'm shocked someone has the audacity to put this out in 2023 as a $70 game. This would be a disaster even as a AA $40 game.

Sadly my gut told me this one would implode.
Me too. From day one I kept thinking it didn't look right. It reminded me of a Switch or mobile game that had been touched up for PC. That video with the developers from about a month or so ago only added to my doubts about it.

I can't imagine in any world where I would want to play as Gollum and I doubt I'm the only one. The premise of the game was bad from the start. If the gameplay, performance and visuals are also bad it sounds like the developer didn't think much of the game either.

I can't imagine in any world where I would want to play as Gollum and I doubt I'm the only one.
That's fine, not every game is for everyone, there are plenty of games I have no intent on playing ever.

Become a Patron!
Back