The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt’s Free Next-Gen Update Launches for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S on December 14, 2022

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CD PROJEKT RED has announced that its next-gen update for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be released for the PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S on December 14, 2022.

See full article...

Here's hoping it doesn't launch as a bug-ridden mess. I'm really looking forward to this. I've also heard that the famed modder for The Witcher 3, Halk Hogan, was brought on to help with this project. His mod packs are well known as some of the best and it's said some of his work from them will be included. I used several which inspired numerous replays but I stopped after my last one around 2020-2021.

I went through the main game and both expansions in 2015 and 2016. I didn't use any mods. Since I stopped paying attention to the game after I went through it, I actually don't know any of the popular mods for the game. Interesting that CDPR is still updating and fixing stuff in the game, and now they're even gonna incorporate some mods right into the game. Man talk about long-term support for a game. A single-player game at that. Even adding features like ray-tracing.

I went through the main game and both expansions in 2015 and 2016. I didn't use any mods. Since I stopped paying attention to the game after I went through it, I actually don't know any of the popular mods for the game. Interesting that CDPR is still updating and fixing stuff in the game, and now they're even gonna incorporate some mods right into the game. Man talk about long-term support for a game. A single-player game at that. Even adding features like ray-tracing.
I think the main inspiration came from renewed interest from the Netflix show but also the new consoles. If not for those, I doubt they'd be doing this or the similar re-do of the first game.

Since I stopped paying attention to the game after I went through it, I actually don't know any of the popular mods for the game.
I somewhat regularly check in with DSOG and John P. often posts stories about mods and more recently, 8K, for it. There are some really impressive things out there but I'm not, for any game, in the mood to patch in a bunch of stuff. Halk's stuff was one nice clean pack and you could install over previous versions and it would update as needed. Simple as downloading and a few steps to install. They really did take the game to another level though.

I like the support, but I'm sure there have been a couple checks from Nvidia to entice them to add ray tracing.

I liked the game well enough, story, setting, graphics all great, gameplay though was lacking, not enough to make me stop playing, but enough for me to keep in on pretty easy settings.

Not sure I want to replay in another time, I also found the blood and wine expac pretty lackluster, it looked great but it seemed I was way underleveled and geared for it even after completing the main game and the plot was pretty unoriginal.

I like the support, but I'm sure there have been a couple checks from Nvidia to entice them to add ray tracing.

I liked the game well enough, story, setting, graphics all great, gameplay though was lacking, not enough to make me stop playing, but enough for me to keep in on pretty easy settings.

Not sure I want to replay in another time, I also found the blood and wine expac pretty lackluster, it looked great but it seemed I was way underleveled and geared for it even after completing the main game and the plot was pretty unoriginal.
I enjoyed Blood and Wine but do see what you mean. I liked it because, after the first two games, plus all the time spent in Velen for all the side missions, I really wanted to see an area that hadn't been devastated by war yet. My only real gripe with it is that I would've liked a lot more story with Regis, and quite a few others, instead of the main protagonists (the sisters). Regis has a story that began in the 1st game and if you do a playthrough of all three using their game saves it does add a little but still leaves a lot of room to explore.

Combat has always been clumsy in the Witcher games, especially the sequels. That's especially true when fighting groups of enemies. The combat system doesn't offer much in the way of precision; you just have to hope that the character does what you want him (or in the case of Ciri, her) to do. Armor has a huge effect on combat difficulty. If memory serves, the best armor in the game against human enemies is the Skellige (Undvik) set, and the Bear school (Ursine) armor offers the best protection against monsters. As a completionist, I found it difficult not to become too overleveled. I wasn't terribly fond of how they implemented level scaling.
I thought Blood and Wine was amazing, especially some optional paths in the story. Hearts of Stone, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as enjoyable, except for the few events that were connected to a certain character from the first Witcher. Of course, this is all a matter of personal taste.
Regis has a story that began in the 1st game and if you do a playthrough of all three using their game saves it does add a little but still leaves a lot of room to explore.
I'm guessing you're already aware of what follows, but I wanted to add that it's also possible to set various flags in the developer console mode (or whatever it's called) to achieve the same result as importing game saves. The dialogue from the scene during Imperial Audience doesn't cover many of the "minor" choices from the earlier games, some of which can subtly flavor the dialogue or even open up new quests.
Sparing Letho at the end of The Witcher 2
Choosing Shani (❤️) in the first Witcher
Saskia's fate (TW2)

Wow, I can't believe it's been over five years since I've played the game. I've probably invested more hours into The Witcher 3 than I care to admit, but I may have to do another playthrough after the update. None of the new games seem to interest me at all.

Become a Patron!
Back