Traffic Lights to Change Worldwide after Swedish Engineer Wins Legal Fight

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Swedish engineer Mats Järlström has prevailed in his years-long battle against a $260 ticket, which his wife got from an automated traffic light camera in 2013. Following plenty of court drama, Järlström managed to draw the attention of the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), an international advisory group in charge of traffic light timings. It is moving forward on a plan that will extend the interval of yellow lights around the globe.

Järlström, who studied electrical engineering in Sweden, challenged the ticket, arguing the timing interval for yellow lights fails to account for scenarios like a driver entering an intersection and slowing to make a turn. A slightly longer interval, he argued, would allow drivers making turns on a yellow light to exit intersections before the light turned red.

Yellow means "Speed Up!" around here .. so is that going to change then? :oops:

Worldwide changes you say?

I have trouble believing that, at least in the US. I mean we pick colors bad for the color blind and then also orient the lights in multiple directions.

Also the fact they have ignored the guidelines previously, and don't see why they wouldn't continue the practice.

Worldwide changes you say?

I have trouble believing that, at least in the US. I mean we pick colors bad for the color blind and then also orient the lights in multiple directions.

Also the fact they have ignored the guidelines previously, and don't see why they wouldn't continue the practice.

The guidelines will likely affect new installs, but existing systems will likely take a VERY long time to get updated. Maybe not until they are replaced.

The guidelines will likely affect new installs, but existing systems will likely take a VERY long time to get updated. Maybe not until they are replaced.

When the places putting them up bother to follow the guidelines. Like they didn't do before this quite often, and will continue to fail to do so quite often.

Especially it if generates revenue.

Become a Patron!
Back