Tried to mount my 3090 horizontally and...

Niner51

FPS Regular
So I figured I'd try to mount the 3090 horizontally in my case using my Cablemod bracket that I used on my 2080Ti. I installed it and all was fine, and even played some games to test out to see if the riser cable and bracket would handle the more powerful card overall. After playing said games for roughly an hour I left the PC and started watching some TV when I noticed the monitor kept going off every 15 seconds or so then coming right back on. I checked everything over and all was good. So I decided to go cack to the normal horizontal installation of the card and now no issues. Just posting this for anyone who is considering doing the same thing. I'm thinking the riser cable is at fault and maybe just can't handle the power draw?

So I figured I'd try to mount the 3090 horizontally in my case using my Cablemod bracket that I used on my 2080Ti. I installed it and all was fine, and even played some games to test out to see if the riser cable and bracket would handle the more powerful card overall. After playing said games for roughly an hour I left the PC and started watching some TV when I noticed the monitor kept going off every 15 seconds or so then coming right back on. I checked everything over and all was good. So I decided to go cack to the normal horizontal installation of the card and now no issues. Just posting this for anyone who is considering doing the same thing. I'm thinking the riser cable is at fault and maybe just can't handle the power draw?

Power draw through the PCIe slot should be limited to 75w. So, it should be fine. If you look at GPU-Z, you'll see most of the power comes through the 8-pin cables. That's how it always is, but you can see these numbers. NVIDIA's Frameview 1.1 also shows this.

Might be a faulty riser or there's something weird happening at idle clocks with your card. On the Nvidia discord someone was mentioning getting driver crashes at idle with their 3090 (I think Asus). Might be worth checking for a bios update for your card.

Power draw through the PCIe slot should be limited to 75w. So, it should be fine. If you look at GPU-Z, you'll see most of the power comes through the 8-pin cables. That's how it always is, but you can see these numbers. NVIDIA's Frameview 1.1 also shows this.

Thanks Dan, I'll look into this.

Might be a faulty riser or there's something weird happening at idle clocks with your card. On the Nvidia discord someone was mentioning getting driver crashes at idle with their 3090 (I think Asus). Might be worth checking for a bios update for your card.

No Bios update unfortunately. I'm okay having it horizontal actually. My 2080Ti was a card to "show off" because of the light show it had, but this card is fairly plain compared to that.

My guess is riser cable. JTC did a video on that and their card showed the same exact issue. Was a bad cable.

My guess is riser cable. JTC did a video on that and their card showed the same exact issue. Was a bad cable.

I narrowed it down to the cable as well. Card has been fine ever since. Also noticed it wasn't being detected by the Gigabyte Fusion software when I had it mounted with the bracket so that was part of investigating the problem as well.

Become a Patron!
Back