Turtle Beach Launches Recon Cloud Hybrid Controller for Xbox Consoles, Windows PCs, and Android Devices

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Turtle Beach has launched its first mobile gaming controller in the form of the Recon Cloud Hybrid Controller.

Go to post

I thought they were an audio company :p

The only thing I know them from are the old sound card from the 90's, the Turtle Beach Tropez.

Though I do recall seeing it in ads back then, I can't remember anyone actually having one.

Also, i don't understand why anyone would want a controller on a PC.

I mean, sure, they are great for things like fighting games and platformers, but if that is your style of game, may e you should just stick with consoles? :p

When a game is made for it and has good controller support - it's awesome.

Not every game is better with a controller, even when it has good support though. That also applies to consoles -- which, by the way, I do enjoy when I'm able to find these games: nothing better than being able to kick back on the couch with a beer and just play.

My achy hands greatly appreciate getting a break from the mouse when I'm able to play something on the controller.

The only thing I know them from are the old sound card from the 90's, the Turtle Beach Tropez.

Though I do recall seeing it in ads back then, I can't remember anyone actually having one.
These days I tought they were mostly a headset selling company, but they seem to have some other gaming stuff too. I don't realy use headsets so never realy looked into them.

I use a controller on PC for racing games mostly, and the occasional baseball and football games as well. Anything else I use the keyboard and mouse.

Controllers offer some ergonomic benefits as well, which are hard to dismiss, especially for those who spend a lot of time on a keyboard and mouse for activities outside of gaming.

I bought a cheap wired Xbox 360 controller years ago to use with some games that were clearly designed with their use in mind, but my lack of patience at the time had me retreating back to the familiar keyboard and mouse in short order.

I'll give controllers another try when the time is right. 🎮

Last edited:
I've been trying to get used to the Steam Deck controls. I'm getting discomfort (not pain so far) in my hands that isn't there with my KB/trackball setups. I don't see myself going with a controller on a desktop system.

I mean, sure, they are great for things like fighting games and platformers, but if that is your style of game, may e you should just stick with consoles? :p
I prefer to play ALL video games on PC, regardless of what kind of video game it is. Consoles are too restrictive. You have so much freedom on PC. Not to mention I also make heavy use of emulation (even though I still use the real hardware for consoles going all the way back to 3rd-gen). I play all kinds of video games, and I like having the freedom to use whatever means of control I find best for the particular game I am playing. I have an epic sh1tton of various different controllers I use on PC. I like being able to mod games (and it's great when the community can fix developer mistakes), I like having the best performance and visuals (sometimes even when the port to PC is botched), I like being able to tweak game settings, I like being able to install games to a specific location of my choice, I like being able to use the hardware I hand-picked to run the game, etc. PC gives choices, options, and far more control over your gaming experience than you would ever find on console. PC the the ultimate video game platform. Freedom to use whatever controller you wish whenever you wish is part of that.

Games like horizon zero dawn and other games made focused on console play generally play better with a controller. Though when I want accuracy it's always back to kb and mouse.
I can't aim worth a d4mn when using analog sticks (looks like a drunk baby is playing), and playing through all of HZD on PS4 was extremely painful. That game requires precise aiming. You have to be able to target specific components on the machines and sh1t. I had to deal with the controller (and not even a good controller, but a DualShock 4) and with 30fps. If I had any idea the game was gonna come to PC I never would have played it on console. I won't be making that mistake for the sequel. A friend offered to let me borrow his PS5 and the game so I could play through it, but I said no thanks, I'm waiting for the PC version. I need the accuracy of a mouse. In most cases, if I need to aim (whether in first-person or 3rd-person), I'd really like to have a mouse.

I use a controller on PC for racing games mostly
I have a G27 racing wheel controller but I do not have a proper setup for it, so most of the time with racing games I am stuck using a controller.

The only thing I know them from are the old sound card from the 90's...
Yeah my popz and I have a bunch of their old sound cards. I also have a headset from them that I bought in the late 2000s. I too am surprised they are making controllers, or anything not audio-related.

These days I tought they were mostly a headset selling company
That's what they were last time I looked into them in the late 2000s. Haven't paid attention to 'em since. But in the end I'll always remember them for their PC sounds cards back in the day.

I've been trying to get used to the Steam Deck controls. I'm getting discomfort (not pain so far) in my hands that isn't there with my KB/trackball setups. I don't see myself going with a controller on a desktop system.
I borrowed a Steam Deck for 11 days and then my brother got one himself. I've spent a good amount of time with the Steam Deck. There's no way in f*ck I would try to use it for PC-centric games like first-person shooters or RTSes (unless I connect a keyboard and mouse to it). Also as a controller Steam Deck leaves a looooooot to be desired, compared to fantastic regular controllers like X360/XB1/XBSX controllers, Wii U Pro controller, Switch Pro Controller, etc. Compromises had to be made to fit all that **** on there with a screen in between. Most sh1t isn't in an ideal place. System is heavy too. You can't use something like a Steam Deck, a Nintendo Switch, or an Aya Neo and expect the built-in controls for those things to compare to using an actual decent & comfortable standalone controller.

Sorry to hear about your discomfort from the Steam Deck. Mind if I ask what trackball(s) you use? And do you use it for gaming? I sometimes get the urge to try one — although for non-gaming use in my case.

Edit: Oops. To be clear, I meant that as a serious question...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your discomfort from the Steam Deck. Mind if I ask what trackball(s) you use? And do you use it for gaming? I sometimes get the urge to try one — although for non-gaming use in my case.

Edit: Oops. To be clear, I meant that as a serious question...
I have a couple ELECOM EX-G Pro M-XPT1MRXBK, and on my main system I have a 20+ year old MS Trackball Optical. The common thread is that both have a button under the ring finger that can be assigned to a key. Very useful for gaming. I don't need 5000 dpi or 8000 Hz polling rate.

When I built my first PC, I got a Logitech trackball and have been using them since. That was before scroll wheels, so the Logitech had 3 buttons. I got used to the 3 button setup for games, so I've looked for trackballs that still have the 3rd button.

In 1st and 3rd person games, I use the 3rd (outside) button for forward, middle (right click) for backward, and inside (left click) for primary fire. Strafe, secondary fire, and everything else is on the keyboard.

Cherish that MS Trackball Optical while it lasts. I had several many years ago and loved them. I was a little heartbroke when I read MS stopped making them. No one else has made a similar one worthy of the original.

Cherish that MS Trackball Optical while it lasts. I had several many years ago and loved them. I was a little heartbroke when I read MS stopped making them. No one else has made a similar one worthy of the original.
I still have 1 or 2 in reserve somewhere, but the wireless Elecom is better for the laptop and living room.

I still have 1 or 2 in reserve somewhere, but the wireless Elecom is better for the laptop and living room.

Now that I think of it, I also had several MS Trackball Explorers ... the version before they went with the optical sensor. Back when most of the hardware MS produced got "Explorer" tacked on to the end of the product name. But yes, also had several of the optical ones, too. Great product except the mouse buttons eventually failed on all of them.

Now that I think of it, I also had several MS Trackball Explorers ... the version before they went with the optical sensor. Back when most of the hardware MS produced got "Explorer" tacked on to the end of the product name. But yes, also had several of the optical ones, too. Great product except the mouse buttons eventually failed on all of them.
I've had the scroll wheel go out on a couple. In one case I know it was static discharge that did it. Luckily, my original is still clicking along.

Any experience with Kensington? I have no idea how they compare with other brands. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much competition in this space.

Any experience with Kensington? I have no idea how they compare with other brands. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much competition in this space.
They used to be a good name in peripherals although I only know them for the locks lately.

Looking at the link they have a lot of trackball models though

1664301469094.png

Become a Patron!
Back