USB hub input lag and working from home

Snowy

Slightly less n00b
Hi

Since I've been working from home, I've been connecting my gaming PC peripherals into my work laptop via a cheap USB 3 hub I purchased at Best Buy. This is working really well, but is kind of a pain to plug everything in/out every morning as I plug them back into my PC at night to game. It would be way easier to just leave everything plugged into the hub and swap the hub between my laptop and gaming PC... My question is: Input lag? Will there be any noticeable/measurable input lag if I have all my peripherals going into a hub before they're connected via a USB port on the motherboard? I'm not sure I've come across any studies of such. Also curious as to how others are managing working from home with a work laptop while using desktop periphs.

Thanks!

I've used kvm switches for a long time and they have not been an issue for latency...

I've used kvm switches for a long time and they have not been an issue for latency...
Is there any particular brand? Last time I searched for KVM switch that included HDMI and audio ports (for calls w/ headset) they were several hundred dollars, which is tough to justify. More reasonably priced ones always had VGA connections...

Is there any particular brand? Last time I searched for KVM switch that included HDMI and audio ports (for calls w/ headset) they were several hundred dollars, which is tough to justify. More reasonably priced ones always had VGA connections...

Hmm. I made the assumption that monitor was switching separately - so maybe km switch is more appropriate. Many monitors will take two different inputs - swap that then us the km switch to move the rest of it. I guess I didn't think about audio as well - I'd just use the laptop speakers for the work machine.

The one I have now is probably some brand X Amazon special...

I just bought a cheap USB switch for like $30 from Amazon - it’s some cheap Chinese
Knockoff but seems to be working fine

Become a Patron!
Back