USB Inventor Explains Why It’s So Annoying to Plug In Correctly

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The non-reversible nature of the USB plug has irritated countless users since its introduction in 1996. Even its inventor, Intel's Ajay Bhatt, has admitted that the connection interface's "biggest annoyance is reversibility."

There's a pretty good reason for that, however. A more practical design would have increased costs, making the connector far less attractive to potential adopters.

A USB that could plug in correctly both ways would have required double the wires and circuits, which would have then doubled the cost.

The Intel team led by Bhatt anticipated the user frustration and opted for a rectangular design and a 50-50 chance to plug it in correctly, versus a round connector with less room for error.

It was essentially a strategic choice. Luckily, there are more pleasant alternatives now such as USB-C.

Makes sense. I applied a spot of paint to top of my USB plugs. Now there is no doubt.

As annoying as I find it today, it is a hell of a lot better than DB9, PS/2, DB25, Com port conflicts, and everything else we dealt with pre-USB.

The 50/50/90 problem that exists now is mostly just in retrospect to connectors like HDMI and DP (unidirectional but better keyed) and especially Lightning and USB-C (can swing either way).

I don't mind USB A, I do get it wrong most of the time, but I hate mini/microUSB. Those I have accidentally done backwards before.

lol, so many ways the confusion could have been avoided such as a green dot/arrow/anything on the plug and USB device if indeed this was an issue. A slight taper/guide, only one way to insert design is another. Really was not a big issue other then folks having to complain about something is my thought on this. USB was undeniably very successful in the end.

A USB that could plug in correctly both ways would have required double the wires and circuits, which would have then doubled the cost.

Is a USB-C Connector really that much more expensive than a USB-A connector? I really wish they had gone USB-C style from the very beginning. Usability in design is important!

I'm glad that the USB-C alternative exists today, but after decades of USB-A these connectors are not going to go away any time soon. Most cases and motherboards still have more USB-A ports than USB-C ports.

Last edited:
Is a USB-C Connector really that much more expensive than a USB-A connector? I really wish they had gone USB-C style from the very beginning. Usability in design is important!

I'm betting they just didn't think of it. In fact, I can't think of many reversible connectors until Apple did it with Magsafe., and later on Lightning

I guess the old non-polarized 2-prong 110 outlets? Mono Audio RCA jacks? 10Base2 Ethernet? 1/4 and 1/8mm headphone jacks? I'm really stretching here.

Never bothered me all that much. I still remember my jaw dropping the first time I used a "plug and play" USB thing. No assigning it a COM port, no tightening screws on the connector, amazing.

Become a Patron!
Back