Valve: Steam Deck 2 with Greater Performance Is Years Away

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Steam Deck fans who are holding out for a revision with more powerful hardware may just want to go ahead and place an order for the current one, as it doesn't sound like a faster version is coming out anytime soon. Speaking to Rock Paper Shotgun in a feature that was authored to celebrate the handheld PC's first anniversary and how the community is blowing Valve's minds, Steam Deck designer Lawrence Yang revealed that there will be a bit of a wait until its successor surfaces, stating that "a true next-gen Deck with a significant bump in horsepower wouldn’t be for a few years." It's unclear how much more powerful the Steam Deck 2 might be, but the current model already offers comprehensive support for what appears to be nearly 3,000 verified games, with recent additions being Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space, and Cyberpunk 2077.

See full article...

I hope they release a cost-reduced version with a smaller footprint. Not that it's too big, but I think it could be smaller.

Hmm...

I like my Steam Deck. It isn't an everyday use type thing, but it gets used. Off all my gripes, I don't think performance is top of the list. Battery life would be first and foremost - the thing is horrible if you don't have it plugged in. So if there were to be a respin, I'd rather it become more efficient rather than faster and that would also help the issues with fan whine (I haven't had issues with it, but some have reported it) and heat.

Screen quality would be a second. It isn't horrible, but it's nothing great. 1080 native resolution, HDR, and/or OLED would all be very welcome there. Not all of those require more horsepower. The native 1080 is more so that Streaming works better than bumping local gameplay resolution.

I'd like to see another USB port as well, that would be nice, but it isn't strictly necessary as USB docks do exist, just would be nice to be able to use a KB/M without one.

Yeah, the unit is kinda large, but I don't know that I'd want to go a lot smaller. It's not like there is a lot of wasted bezel space or anything, and to get it much more compact you either gotta cut the screen size down further, or do like the switch and decouple the controllers.

Hmm...

I like my Steam Deck. It isn't an everyday use type thing, but it gets used. Off all my gripes, I don't think performance is top of the list. Battery life would be first and foremost - the thing is horrible if you don't have it plugged in. So if there were to be a respin, I'd rather it become more efficient rather than faster and that would also help the issues with fan whine (I haven't had issues with it, but some have reported it) and heat.

Screen quality would be a second. It isn't horrible, but it's nothing great. 1080 native resolution, HDR, and/or OLED would all be very welcome there. Not all of those require more horsepower. The native 1080 is more so that Streaming works better than bumping local gameplay resolution.

I'd like to see another USB port as well, that would be nice, but it isn't strictly necessary as USB docks do exist, just would be nice to be able to use a KB/M without one.

Yeah, the unit is kinda large, but I don't know that I'd want to go a lot smaller. It's not like there is a lot of wasted bezel space or anything, and to get it much more compact you either gotta cut the screen size down further, or do like the switch and decouple the controllers.

I think there is a LOT of wasted bezel space, in this day and age there sould be ZERO bezel.

I think there is a LOT of wasted bezel space, in this day and age there sould be ZERO bezel.
It's like ... 2 mm at the top/bottom. And that's there mostly just to give fix-at-home people the ability to latch a tool in to remove it, without needing to resort to glue or something crazy. -- you can see divots in the top bezel for fitting the removal tool.

My brother and two of my friends have Steam Decks. It's an awesome device, but I do wish it was a bit more powerful. That said, I agree with @Brian_B that the system's real issue is the battery life. Also I too would f*cking love to see an OLED screen on that thing.

I could have sworn I read something months ago which said Valve had no intention of putting out a new one with faster hardware anytime soon so this is anything but a surprise. There was the rumor before the next faster hardware release that they were thinking of putting out a revision which was more power efficient. Personally I think that makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The Steam Deck is made with PC components and running a PC OS but that doesn't mean the hardware needs or should be updated every six months. Items like the Steam Deck or basically any other handheld device needs to stay static regarding hardware for generous periods of time. Economy of scale doesn't kick in for a while and frequent hardware updates kill that. Frequent hardware updates will also sour quite a few people who bought the "old" version and become jealous of those with the "new" version. People can be **** weird but it is something companies need to keep in mind.

Become a Patron!
Back