Watch Dogs: Legion Will Run at 4K/30 FPS with Ray Tracing on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
watch-dogs-legion-aiden-pierce-1024x576.jpg
Image: Ubisoft

Watch Dogs: Legion should prove to be a beautiful experience on next-gen consoles. In a recent AMA, live producer Lathieeshe Thillainathan confirmed that the game would run at 4K/30 FPS with ray-tracing effects enabled on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Real-time ray-traced reflections on a console port? That seems mighty impressive to us, but that hasn’t stopped Watch Dogs fans from complaining about a potential oversight – namely, a frame-rate focused performance mode that ditches the RTX effects for a smoother, 60 FPS experience...

Continue reading...

I mean can a 3080 do 4k/60 locked with rt and no dlss? If so that doesn't look great for amd.

I can guarantee you the ray-tracing will not be 4K quality on consoles so it won't be a 1 to 1 comparison.
Digital Foundry said that for the PS5 Gran Turismo 7 preview videos that the reflections were at most 1080p and may actually be lower/checkerboarded - https://youtu.be/Azl772uylh4?t=241 (timestamped)

I can guarantee you the ray-tracing will not be 4K quality on consoles so it won't be a 1 to 1 comparison.
Digital Foundry said that for the PS5 Gran Turismo 7 preview videos that the reflections were at most 1080p and may actually be lower/checkerboarded -
(timestamped)
Reflections are at the bottom of my list of caring when it comes to ray tracing.

I mean can a 3080 do 4k/60 locked with rt and no dlss? If so that doesn't look great for amd.

3080 isn't going into a console any time soon. Way too much power to stick inside a home entertainment cabinet.

Whatever nVidia comes out with that has a ~125W TDP, that's what should get compared to here. Preliminary testing on XBSX shows the unit pulling about 160W total max at the wall - so that's GPU, CPU, drives, accessories, PSU efficiency, everything.

Can't really compare a 300W GPU to something that's burning 125W and call it a blowout embarrassment because the 300W part wins.

If that's true that's admirable. I expected RT games to run at 1440p or lower and upscale to 4K/30.

Reflections are at the bottom of my list of caring when it comes to ray tracing.
IMO besides reflections, the only 'major' visual difference with ray-tracing is global illumination. Shadows and AO can be quite impressive but normally are faked well enough.

What are you referring to specifically?

Become a Patron!
Back