Western Digital Announces SanDisk Professional PRO-G40 SSD, Compatible with Both Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.2 Gen 2

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Western Digital has announced the SanDisk Professional PRO-G40 SSD, a new external SSD that features dual-mode compatibility with both Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 interfaces, as well as a high-level IP68 rating.

Go to post

I don't get it. Why drop 450 dollars on 2 tb of external drive that still needs to plug into a laptop to work when you could get an nvme 4.0 3tb drive for half that to go on the laptop... unless it's a apple laptop I guess.

I don't get it. Why drop 450 dollars on 2 tb of external drive that still needs to plug into a laptop to work when you could get an nvme 4.0 3tb drive for half that to go on the laptop... unless it's a apple laptop I guess.

Because sneakernet is still a thing?

Why drop 450 dollars on 2 tb of external drive
The MSRP is a bit high, I admit.

But, it's Thunderbolt, and that hasn't hit the penetration level to really bring about competitive low, pricing. Even if you just wanted an external enclosure to pop your own NVMe drive in, those are still $100.

You are probably only after Thunderbolt if you are specifically looking for Thunderbolt anyway.

The PRO-G40 SSD has a pro-grade enclosure that is ready for any adventure and delivers a premium strength you can feel. Its ultra-rugged design with IP68 dust/water resistance, up to 4000-pound crush resistance, and up to 3-meter drop resistance help withstand the elements in just about every location for ultra-durability.
In other words, it's built to withstand delivery from Amazon. That counts for something.

Become a Patron!
Back