Windows 7 EOL Looming

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Windows-10-to-WIndows-7-1024x576.jpg

The Inquirer would like to remind us that Windows 7 EOL is just around the corner. On January 14th, 2020, Microsoft will stop providing security updates for Windows 7. This officially makes Windows 7 end of life. Those who continue to cling to it will begin receiving full screen pop ups indicating the need to upgrade to 10. Organizations can pursue extended support thru Microsoft by paying annual fees per machine. Prices will double for each year purchased but start at $25 for Enterprise Edition and then $50 for Pro.

I always upgrade to the latest OS in order to have access to the latest API’s for gaming. This hasn’t always been a smooth process. I also remember being grumpy that it seemed like so much happened so fast. It seemed like a matter of short years in going 7>8>8.1>10. Ironically just last week I read a story at DSOG, about Ring Of Elysuim’s beta that supports DX12 on Windows 7 being out now.

Still holding onto Windows 7? Perhaps you’ve dug into 10 and are just used to it’s various issues. Let us know.

I loved Win 7 when I ran it.. and it took awhile to figure out how to just turn my computer off when I "upgraded" to Win 8 .. I love my Win10 and don't enjoy having to work on rigs that run any older OS's.. R.I.P. Windows 7!

I loved 7. 8 & 8.1 were these annoying steps in between. 10 has been a mixed bag. Build updates. Sometimes a smooth update, sometimes an annoying thing that breaks or inhibits something. Overall I like it but I had expected a bit of a better q/a on the updates.

p.s. Like the new rig. I hadn't noticed it until now. "Ryzen 3700x | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | 2 x 16GB HyperX Predator PC3200@PC3666 | ASRock RX 5700XT 8GB | 512GB M.2 | 850 WTT EVGA GQ 80+ Gold PSU | " -Very similar to what my 2600k is about to become next week.

8/8.1 are 10's Vista to Windows 7.. not necessarily bad, but so different that it threw everyone off.

Yeah, I swapped out my x470 for an x570 .. the Steel Legend's only draw back is that they shouldn't of put the PCIe vidcard slot so close to the CPU .. usually there is a x4 slot then the vidcard slot. I run the Noctua NH-D15 and it's right on the back plate of my RX5700xt. If running water cooling or stock hsf, no problems .. but huge air heatsinks, it's a tight fit. Swapped out 4 8gb for 2 x16's as well ... you'll enjoy your upgrade!

I’m the odd one that actually liked 8.1, but that was after they mostly fixed it and I never saw that tile based garbage. There were quite a few QoL improvements, and while 10 has issues with telemetry and whatnot, it’s pretty nice to use. 7 was great when it came out though, definite improvement over Vista.

I've been using Win10 since launch on every system except my main desktop PC (which was built before Win10 came out). All my clients and family and friends are running Win10. Most of these are systems I set up. Why am I not using Win10 on my main personal system? Sure there are things I like about 7 more than 10 (and vice versa), but the main reason is just cuz I've been waiting until I grab a new SSD. Then I'll do a fresh install of the latest version of Win10. Otherwise I've just been dragging my feet. Basically just laziness. I don't do OS upgrades, only fresh installs. My younger bro is also still using Win7 on his main desktop. What he wants to do though is get a gaming laptop and run Win10 on that, and then he can keep his main desktop running only Linux. He hasn't been able to do this because laptop prices are ****ing insane. So much money for such weaker hardware. Rather use the money on a desktop. In any case, despite its issues, Win10 has come a looong way since launch. I certainly don't mind it anywhere near as much as I used to. Every new system I build that isn't designated as a Linux machine gets Win10 thrown on it. Definitely has made it easier to maintain the systems of family and clients.

EDIT: Speaking of DX12 games running on Win7, I played through Gears 5 on Win7. That was not a great experience. Tested using a few different nVidia GPU drivers, all with the same results. The performance was *** on my 1080 Ti and yet the GPU wasn't even close to being fully utilized. I looked up the performance people were getting on 1080 Tis at the time, and my performance wasn't close to matching that. I figured there was some wonkiness going on with me being on Win7. I can't recall performance figures or which driver versions I used, since this was a few months ago or so. Probably got the info written down somewhere. I had bigger problems than the performance though. The game would often crash throughout my whole run through the game, and the game itself was pretty buggy too, with collision detection issues and NPCs wigging out or getting stuck in geometry, all kinds of fun stuff. At some point I'll check out the new CoD Modern Warfare, since that is another DX12 game that will run on Win7. Not sure why devs even bother with DX12 anyways. Just use Vulkan.

Last edited:
I have only one win7 machine left that runs virtual XP. My wife still likes to use MicroGrafx from the mid 90s at times. It is stand alone not on any network. Mostly it just gathers dust.

Become a Patron!
Back