Windows Subsystem for Android Is Officially Available in 31 Countries

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Microsoft has officially rolled out its Windows Subsystem for Android that allows Windows 11 users to run Android apps via the Amazon app store.

See full article...

I just don't understand why they make such a big deal out of this feature.

It must be a rather limited crowd of people who are interested in running android apps on a computer...

I admit I've always had a passing curiosity about it but it wasn't high on my radar but there've been a handful of games I thought looked good for what they were. I liked the Iron Man game from a while back (2nd movie I think) and the Thor Dark World game which was a little like Diablo. A couple of the Star Wars pinball games and such.

On the other hand, there are a number of apps I use that can only be run on Android/iOS which has always annoyed me. It means I have to have a tablet/phone in order to use them. If I can legally, and securely, get away from that then my next tablet upgrade might not have to be an Android but my current 12.4 Galaxy Tab S7+ has been impressive for media content playback.

A lot of new devices only have apps available.

Sense monitor, for instance — you can view data from a PC, but can only do the setup and configuration via app.

I think Blink cameras are the same.

Hue home control stuff - I don’t know that it has a PC control (although it has an API so maybe?)

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head

A lot of new devices only have apps available.

Sense monitor, for instance — you can view data from a PC, but can only do the setup and configuration via app.

I think Blink cameras are the same.

Hue home control stuff - I don’t know that it has a PC control (although it has an API so maybe?)

Just a couple of examples off the top of my head

Ahh, I avoid any "smart" and/or IOT devices like the plague, so I hadn't thought of those.

There are none of them in my home, and never will be :p

I'm not opposed to home automation, but I am opposed to any device that tries to communicate with anything outside of my LAN. :p

Apparently my kitchen stove/oven also has an app... it's wifi enabled but no PC support.

I have no idea what benefit that really brings. It lets me see if it's on, and lets me start/stop the oven if it's been pre-programmed... so I guess you could set something in there when you go to work, let it get good and ripe and botulism-y, then start the oven remotely on your way home to get home to a cooked meal? Or if you are incredibly anxious and just have to make certain you turned the stovetop off after you already left on vacation?

Although if I connect it to the WiFi it automatically sets the clock, so there's at least that.

side note - I hate this range, if anyone wants a cheap GE Profile Induction range/oven - I'll let it go cheap if you come pick it up.

The Android ecosystem is huge, so it's a big win for Microsoft if they can make the apps usable from Windows.

I just wanna know what comes next:
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
  • Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA)
  • Windows Subsystem for ______ (WS_)
Any guesses?

Any guesses?
Honestly, I can’t think of anything that wouldn’t require some sort of impossible-to-negotiate licensing. Between Linux and Android - you have pretty much the entirety of the free OS base there

Apparently my kitchen stove/oven also has an app... it's wifi enabled but no PC support.

I have no idea what benefit that really brings. It lets me see if it's on, and lets me start/stop the oven if it's been pre-programmed... so I guess you could set something in there when you go to work, let it get good and ripe and botulism-y, then start the oven remotely on your way home to get home to a cooked meal? Or if you are incredibly anxious and just have to make certain you turned the stovetop off after you already left on vacation?

Although if I connect it to the WiFi it automatically sets the clock, so there's at least that.

side note - I hate this range, if anyone wants a cheap GE Profile Induction range/oven - I'll let it go cheap if you come pick it up.

I accidentally bought a window air conditioner that was "wifi enabled".

I never connected it to my network. After a few days I tried what would happen if I just yanked out the Wifi module. It works as expected without the "feature".

It was a really stupid design too, with the WiFi module partially blocking the interior fins...

Unfortunately, I don't think you can even buy a new TV anymore that isn't "smart" and preloaded with spyware apps.

I'm with Zarathustra on "smart" devices. I hate them. The last thing I want is to spend my time playing sysadmin to a house full of consumer toys that generally don't add any useful features to make my life easier. They end up doing the exact opposite by wasting my time.

How do we know these devices are even smart in the first place? Is there some sort of special exam they need to pass? :LOL:

The Android ecosystem is huge, so it's a big win for Microsoft if they can make the apps usable from Windows.

I just wanna know what comes next:
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
  • Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA)
  • Windows Subsystem for ______ (WS_)
Any guesses?
iOS/X? 🤔

Never say never.

I'm totally mixed on what they make smart. I've got a Traeger with it and love it. So nice to program everything, set it up, and keep track of things from my tablet, especially on bad weather days. Got an OBD II dongle that's awesome as well. On the other hand, our new washer/dryer set has it and I don't really have any intention of setting it up. From lights to our other indoor appliances that I just want to work it's a hard pass.

I have to admit I've become a Hue fan - there's a lot you can do when you can program devices with some flexibility. A lot of it I could do with old fashioned mechanical timers, but it's nice being able to key to a flexible event - like "Dawn" or "When I come home".

But yeah, it's a luxury thing, not a necessity. And there are devices, like the oven, that I just don't see that same benefit.

Become a Patron!
Back