Xbox Series S and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition Could Be Especially Tough to Get This Holiday

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-s-console-controller-1024x582.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Securing an Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 this year should be difficult enough, but finding one of their cheaper siblings could be nearly impossible. That’s according to data from everyone’s favorite big-box games retailer, Gamestop, whose preorder allocations suggest that Sony and Microsoft are manufacturing a lot less Xbox Series S and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition consoles.

Data compiled by ArsTechnica reveals that Sony’s Digital Edition comprises as little as 13 percent of all PlayStation 5 allocations. “The Digital Edition ratios at individual locations ranged from 13 to 33 percent of all the available PS5 preorders, with 20 percent being the most common ratio,” Ars wrote. “Each individual GameStop location in our sample...

Continue reading...

"That’s according to data from everyone’s favorite big-box games retailer, Gamestop". Whatever. I haven't stepped foot in one since the 360 days.

Here's a tip. Take whatever "data" comes from Gamestop and smoke it. How this zombie corpse of a company is still relevant or in business is beyond me.

Last edited:
"That’s according to data from everyone’s favorite big-box games retailer, Gamestop". Whatever. I haven't stepped foot in one since the 360 days.

Here's a tip. Take whatever "data" comes from Gamestop and smoke it. How this zombie corpse of a company is still relevant or in business is beyond me.
I haven't stepped inside one for years, either. Been buying my game consoles these days from Amazon or Best Buy, and all my game purchases are digital unless there is a collector's edition with swag I want, which is rare these days. Otherwise I go to a small locally owned shop for everything else.

Usually the only time I'll go to Electronic Boutique (Gamestop in Canada) is when I'm purchasing a new console. I'll trade in my old one and use it towards credit. Usually value-wise, you don't get much for a console trade-in, so I'll wait for a 'trade-in promo' to appear and scavenge a few more dollars out of the credit.

I prefer the ease of trading in the console versus the alternate method of selling it locally. I'll probably do the same when the time comes to upgrade my Switch or Xbox One X.

I think most of us are expecting for the eventual end of GS but, more than likely, these new launches will hold off the inevitable for a bit longer.

I've been hearing about how Sony and Microsoft made less units of the PS5 digital and XBSS consoles. Honestly I think they prioritized the right models for manufacture.

Whatever. I haven't stepped foot in one since the 360 days.
Haha I was working at a GameStop when X360 launched. Yeah I haven't really stepped foot in one since those days either.

Usually the only time I'll go to Electronic Boutique (Gamestop in Canada) is when I'm purchasing a new console.
Oh snap, they're still called Electronic Boutique over there huh? The GameStop I used to work at was once an Electronic Boutique. Thanks to the GameStop buyout, I was paid even less than I normally would have been paid when I got the job (or so my manager told me). Cheap *******s.

I think most of us are expecting for the eventual end of GS but, more than likely, these new launches will hold off the inevitable for a bit longer.
Honestly surprised they lasted this long. They continue to somehow keep crawling along, still barely breathing, barely alive, but alive nonetheless.

Ha, I gotten stuff at GameStop when everyone else fails. Games cheaper... and controllers too. I don't discount them in my searches, and sticking to Amazon only for things is a mistake.... Always check others at least for things like games and dvd players, vaccum cleaners stuff like this. They usually aren't the best deal.. even in light bulbs they weren't the best deal, home depot was.

Ha, I gotten stuff at GameStop when everyone else fails. Games cheaper... and controllers too. I don't discount them in my searches, and sticking to Amazon only for things is a mistake.... Always check others at least for things like games and dvd players, vaccum cleaners stuff like this. They usually aren't the best deal.. even in light bulbs they weren't the best deal, home depot was.
10-15 years ago it was like that where I live and then they started marking things up. Gave penny's on the dollar for trade-in stuff and then used stuff was barely $5 off of new. That was back in Xbox 360/PS3 days. I stopped going shortly after that. I admit I didn't check their online offerings but local in-stores became useless.

10-15 years ago it was like that where I live and then they started marking things up. Gave penny's on the dollar for trade-in stuff and then used stuff was barely $5 off of new. That was back in Xbox 360/PS3 days. I stopped going shortly after that. I admit I didn't check their online offerings but local in-stores became useless.
In person.. eh. I have used online+ pickup and shipping.. not bad experiences so far. I do recommend anyone to add it to the list to check out.
I think the idea of having almost like a cafe, and pickup/ shipping makes sense if pulled off properly... (Reggie's idea i think)there is infrastructure to work with... That said they may not survive long enough anyway.

Become a Patron!
Back