Xbox Series S Confirmed by Leaked Controller Manual

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-one-s-duo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

The Xbox Series S is officially one of Microsoft’s worst-kept secrets ever. Someone managed to get his hands on the company’s next-gen controller early, and according to the manual, it’s compatible with both the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, which confirms that all of those previous rumors about a weaker console are true. Naturally, the documentation doesn’t reveal anything about the Series S’s specs, but this is cool news for Xbox fans who want to jump into the upcoming console generation at a lower cost.

Xbox series X controller found in the wild!! pic.twitter.com/TEns4z45CB— Zak S (@zakk_exe) August 9, 2020

According to...

Continue reading...

Still not sure why they would build a weaker console, that would be the current gen ones imo but hey to each their own.

Still not sure why they would build a weaker console, that would be the current gen ones imo but hey to each their own.
From earlier leaks the Series S is supposedly 50% more powerful than the One X going by raw numbers (9 TFLOP/s vs. 6).

Well if the rumors are true on the price of both the new Xbox and new Playstation then I think Microsoft will have a huge advantage here. Considering the rumors are saying the Xbox will be half the price of the PS5.

History has shown that the most powerful console doesn't always win (if it ever has). For example, the Nintendo 64 was a lot more powerful than the PS1, but the PS1 was cheaper to own by a large margin and won considerably easily.

Well if the rumors are true on the price of both the new Xbox and new Playstation then I think Microsoft will have a huge advantage here. Considering the rumors are saying the Xbox will be half the price of the PS5.

History has shown that the most powerful console doesn't always win (if it ever has). For example, the Nintendo 64 was a lot more powerful than the PS1, but the PS1 was cheaper to own by a large margin and won considerably easily.
The Nintendo 64 launched at $199.99 when it was released in September 1996, which was the same price as the PlayStation at the time. Nintendo further reduced the price of the 64 to $149.99 in April of 1997 after Sony lowered the price of the PlayStation to the same a month earlier. Game prices varied wildly on both systems. The lack of games on the Nintendo 64 is why it ultimately failed.

The lack of games on the Nintendo 64 is why it ultimately failed.

Yar, the reason why I ended up selling my N64 and bought a Playstation (and I had to save up a lot of money to buy it on a paper boy salary).

One thing to note regarding the cost disparity: I seem to recall N64 games costing quite a bit more than their PS counterpart (likely due to cartridge costs).

The Nintendo 64 launched at $199.99 when it was released in September 1996, which was the same price as the PlayStation at the time. Nintendo further reduced the price of the 64 to $149.99 in April of 1997 after Sony lowered the price of the PlayStation to the same a month earlier. Game prices varied wildly on both systems. The lack of games on the Nintendo 64 is why it ultimately failed.

Nintendo 64 games were 2 - 3x more expensive than that of the Playstation (for the developers) and Playstation games cost a lot less for the consumer. That's why I said it was cheaper to own.

Nintendo 64 games were 2 - 3x more expensive than that of the Playstation (for the developers) and Playstation games cost a lot less for the consumer. That's why I said it was cheaper to own.
I recall new N64 games costing between $40 and $80, while PlayStation were $30-$50. I think the average of the former was actually $55-$60. Last game I remember buying new for the N64 was Perfect Dark for $50 at Best Buy.

I recall new N64 games costing between $40 and $80, while PlayStation were $30-$50. I think the average of the former was actually $55-$60. Last game I remember buying new for the N64 was Perfect Dark for $50 at Best Buy.

According to my quick Google searching it seems N64 games cost an average of $10 more than the PS1 games. So maybe that was a bad example.

The cheapest new XBOX-XYZ will be the best seller. I just cannot see a endless line of parents coughing up $500 for their brats Xmas present. $200 model will sell like hotcakes, even if it is massively weaker. As long as it will play the same games (never mind the resolution or GFX level) anyway.

Rabid console fans with disposable income are not the big money makers for Sony/MS. It's the parents buying their kids The New Thing as presents.

Sony, OTOH, will charge whatever they want to, and You Will Buy It. Or so they seem to think anyway. I think the PS3 launch memories have all faded from Sony executive's brains by this point. Maybe... This Time... MS will (pick one = WIN, LOSE, Kick Sony in the Nads, design another self destructing console like the 360).

Become a Patron!
Back