Xbox Series X GPU Estimated to Be 20 Percent Faster than the AMD Radeon 5700 XT

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Digital Foundry has published its thoughts on what could be hiding behind the Xbox Series X's "massive casing." Based on what Microsoft has confirmed thus far regarding performance (12 teraflops of power), the Series X must be sporting a GPU that's more powerful than any Navi card that's currently on the market. DF also estimates that the power consumption could surpass 300 W based on the average thermals of the Radeon RX 5700 XT and potential cooling room granted by Series X's casing.

…based on the processor image released at E3 combined with the sheer size of the case, even at a highly clocked 2.0GHz, we'd still require 48 compute units to get the job done - a 20 per cent increase over the Radeon 5700 XT, today's most capable Navi GPU. And that 48 CU allocation wouldn't include redundancy, where we'd expect a further four deactivated CUs to increase yield from the production line.

I think, if you pack 300W+ in that thing... even if the case is big enough (and it probably is) - by the time people put it in their entertainment centers, it's not going to work out so well. 300W in a enclosed entertainment center is ..... not a good idea.

That's before we look at trying to cram 300W+ into a single APU-style die. 5700XT is just shy of 10TF at 225W... no CPU on there either. An 8C Zen2 style CPU I don't think will be massive TDP, but it will be something... 35W maybe (probably won't be clocked as high or aggressively as current Ryzen3 SKUs)? CPU won't add >2TF to performance though (maybe a few hundred GF).

It's possible we see Navi2 here bring a more efficiency than what we see on a 5700XT, but given it's same process node I wouldn't expect miracles here... 10-20% is possible, double probably isn't. So maybe you hit that 12TF in 225W envelope, pack in CPU cores on top of that and your just north of 250W for the die - 300W for total system is plausible but...

Threadripper 2990WX is 250W stock in a single die, and it needs beefy water cooling across that ginormous die surface. I doubt we see that inside a console.

Both Xbox and PS are not recommended to be placed in an enclosed area. Says right in the manuals.

Become a Patron!
Back