Xerox Is Trying to Buy HP for $22 a Share in Takeover Bid

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Hewlett-Packard may have a new lord and master. Print and digital document giant Xerox has offered HP $22 per share in a takeover bid, despite the latter having triple the market cap ($29 billion). If HP were to accept the deal, its holders would end up owning only 48% of the company.

“We have considered, among other things, what would be required to merit a transaction. Most recently, we received a proposal transmitted yesterday,” the company said in a statement. “We have a record of taking action if there is a better path forward and will continue to act with deliberation, discipline and an eye towards what is in the best interest of all our shareholders.”

I wonder what this means for home printers. Will Xerox abandon HP's strategy of gauging us with ink cartridge prices?

I will never buy hp printers ever again.
I had like 3 all in ones.. used to buy original ink sets at Costco.. I lived with the bank breaking prices for a while.. I don't remember too well but it used to be like 30 to 40 for 2x black color, and like maybe 50 to 60 for a set of colors.. It might have been all told 80 to 100, but possibly like 80 for everything.
Yeah , then prices increased tremendously, it was like 60 for black and like 70 for color.. or some insanity. I mean it was already nut-busting prices.. I was basically forced out of using their garbage.
Switched to epson, I put generic in from the get go (tossed the originals) called it a day years ago.. the printer still works fine, and I still have ink left since I purchased like 20 sets or some absurd amount being so cheap.

I've dealt with printers in office environments for years. Even though they aren't as good as they once were, HP's have still been far ahead of the competition. Their home printers are a different deal as the software sucks, but used in an office environment, they are solid. Much more so than any other brand I've worked with.

I used to fix these stupid things for a living. I cringed anytime I had to work on a non-HP printer.

I've dealt with printers in office environments for years. Even though they aren't as good as they once were, HP's have still been far ahead of the competition. Their home printers are a different deal as the software sucks, but used in an office environment, they are solid. Much more so than any other brand I've worked with.

I used to fix these stupid things for a living. I cringed anytime I had to work on a non-HP printer.
Totally agree on every front with this. At my job we've got roughly a dozen different model and age HP's and they all rock like champs. Worst thing I have to deal with is Windows updates occasionally installing the wrong driver but I put that on MS not HP. Easy fix but a little annoying. Usually happens with our color printers.

HP's approach to toner cartridge design and the modular nature of its products are the reasons why they are so easy to deal with. If I need to replace a fuser or rollers, I can. A fuser assembly isn't much more difficult than installing a toner cartridge. Need a sensor? No problem. If I needed to do any of that on a Brother unit for example, I'd be looking at a considerable amount of work given that these weren't really designed to be modular. On one Dell unit I had to service, the fusing assembly required soldering to replace. This isn't something I had seen on any other brand or model previously.

Multi-function units are the worst. I don't care who made it, they all suck to work on and deal with. Their reliability is often questionable at best. HP still has some modularity here, but they still suck.

Become a Patron!
Back