XFX Mercury AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air Video Card Review

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction XFX is launching a new AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX video card in 2024 that does a little trick. With the new XFX Mercury AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air Gaming Graphics Card (MERC class), it’s all in the name. The key point is the “Magnetic Air” which cleverly indicates that the three […]

See full article...

Compared to the RX 7900 XTX versions we have already reviewed (AMD RX 7900 XTX and MSI RX 7900 XTX Gaming TRIO Classic) the overclocking and gameplay are nearly identical across the board. Given the time passed and driver improvements I would bet there is little difference. At present, the XFX model reviewed is just a few frames better in most games and could be attributed to a higher power limit setting. The XFX Merc models are exceptionally well made and have excellent cooling, there is no doubt about that. The fit and finish of a Merc is equal to the MSI SUPRIM or the ASUS ROG Strix models.
To me the fan is a gimmick to ressurect a model of video card that is just not selling. Realistically, when was the last time a fan went DOA in any of your video cards? Most of us are going to sell them off and upgrade well before the fans go out. The real advantage or draw to this would be swapping the fan out for aesthetic in a vertical orientation, but there are no alternatives. Cleaning? A little compressed air even with the fan in place is no problem.
Just playing the Devil's advocate here. I'm not sure this video card should get a "10" . Maybe for design and cooling, but if I had $1000 to spend on a video card I'd have to look hard at what this card can do with Ray Tracing compared to the competition.

Realistically, when was the last time a fan went DOA in any of your video cards? Most of us are going to sell them off and upgrade well before the fans go out.

The last time I owned MSI or Gigabyte GPUs. It's why I don't buy models from them anymore.

LoL, I own almost exclusively MSI gpus and have not had any problems. My only gpu issues ever were both with EVGA products......one fan and one memory issue.

I'm sure I just got unlucky with the ones I owned. I think I had around 5 or 6 of them over the last decade and all of them had fan failures. Gigabyte was about 50/50 in the half a dozen or so I owned around the same time. Mostly AMD cards for MSI, but Gigabyte was Nvidia cards. Most of the Gigabyte boards during that time failed on me as well so I don't buy them anymore either.

Only blemish in my mind on MSI is them changing warranty terms after the sale on some folks that were doing crypto mining with them. Changing the warranty after sale should be illegal.

Become a Patron!
Back