Xiaomi Unveils $7,200 Transparent OLED TV

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xiaomi-mi-tv-lux-oled-transparent-edition-1024x576.jpg
Image: Xiaomi

Xiaomi has announced the Mi TV LUX OLED Transparent Edition, which happens to be the world’s first mass-produced transparent TV. As you might imagine, the display comprises an edge-to-edge panel that’s effectively invisible aside from the bezels and speaker unit.

In terms of specs, we’re looking at a 150000:1 static contrast ratio and an infinite dynamic contrast ratio (i.e., true blacks), as well as DCI-P3 93% color spectrum support. The panel is 10-bit, which implies 1.07 billion color combinations, and its refresh rate is 120 Hz.

The only problem here (aside from the fact that it probably won’t be sold in the U.S.) is its price. Xiaomi is selling it for RMB 49,999, which translates to $7,200. Check out the full...

Continue reading...

I don't understand how this thing makes black? Is it using subtractive color mixing?

Don't OLED panels make black by simply turning off those pixels? If this panel's "off" is transparent, I just don't understand how they're getting black.

Wow that's high res...

Uhh it's off.

Oh.. Your neighbor might want to put some clothes on.

I know right?

How does that work does the content need color encoding for all areas of a screen and if it isn't there is it clear? I want to see this in action. Could Make for some great smart glasses.

I just don't understand how they're getting black.

It's OLEDMagic.

I won't lie, it's cool. But extremely niche - I can see some neat uses, but all of them are pretty specialized cases.

I expect a full FPS review with giveaway as soon as these hit the shelves ..

I don't see the point of this, unless you don't want your TV to look like a TV while it's turned off.
I don't understand how this thing makes black? Is it using subtractive color mixing?

Don't OLED panels make black by simply turning off those pixels? If this panel's "off" is transparent, I just don't understand how they're getting black.
That is how I'm guessing they're doing it. Note the 150,000:1 static contrast ratio. If even the manufacturer isn't saying Inf:1 for the static contrast ratio then you know you're not getting true blacks.

I really do not understand how they get this to work and I am incredibly curious as to how it works.

I really want to see one of these in action. Plus... how much energy do they consume to watch things on them? I suspect it's easily 2 to 3 times a oled or LCD.

I don't think this thing is designed for consumer use. I think it's for fancy kiosks or exhibits where a big huge TV would look out of place. Maybe informational panels at the Met or something cha-chingy like that.

I'm going to guess behind the OLED layer is a more traditional LCD layer. just like a normal LCD panel occludes the backlight behind it, it occludes the transparent backing. I'm guessing blacks may not be actually as black as a good OLED panel, but it should be enough to prove that those sci-fi staples of transparent displays are ergonomic garbage.

The question is how they feed it the signal to be opaque or not. For still imagery you can jsut use alpha channel info native to many formats. For video, that's going to have to be more non-standard.

Okay, I want a 18" x 6" version for a HUD for my vehicle.

That is a good idea, and I wouldn't even need it to be that big. Motorcycle people would probably love some kind of helmet display like that too, gps, tach info etc

If they can figure out a way to seal it from moisture and protect it from UV. Otherwise, from what I've read moisture and UV light shortens the lifespan of OLED displays like this.

Become a Patron!
Back