YouTube “Premium Lite” Subscription to Offer Ad-Free Viewing at a Cheaper Cost

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
youtube-premium-logo-white-bg-1024x576.jpg
Image: YouTube

YouTube currently offers a subscription service called YouTube Premium that allows subscribers to enjoy ad-free videos, ad-free music, and other perks such as the ability to download content to watch or listen to offline for $11.99 a month.

According to an ad spotted by a user on the ResetEra forum, YouTube is planning a new tier of YouTube Premium for select countries in Europe called “Premium Lite” that will provide an ad-free experience like the current service but at a cheaper price—6.99 euros vs. 11.99 euros.

While it isn’t clear when (or if) this tier will be available to U.S. users and other territories, YouTube has delivered a statement to The Verge that confirms the cheaper option is being tested.

The main difference with YouTube Premium Lite is that it doesn’t include any YouTube Music benefits. These include ad-free listening...

Continue reading...

Make that $2 or less a year, and maybe I'll buy in. I just don't use YouTube enough to really care.

YouTube's ads are annoying and break into content at completely the wrong times (which might be intentional to try to sell this premium crap).

You have to love the good old "create a problem, sell a solution to the problem you created" business model.

Meanwhile I have gotten pretty good spacing out as much as possible during unskippable ads. Their goal is to harm my user experience by ingraining their product or brand in my mind, so I consider it a success if I can get through an ad and never notice what it is they are trying to sell.

That, and my approach is that I intentionally boycott any brand that advertises to me on any platform. It is my personal goal to make advertisers NOT want to advertise to me. If more people did, maybe we'd never have to be annoyed by ads ever again!

On my desktop PC I haven't seen a YT ad in more years than I can remember, and I'm on YT almost every day. I see them all the time on my Android phone though, in the YT app, which is d*mn annoying. If it wasn't for mobile YT, I would not even remember that YT has ads to begin with. My phone is old and slow though, so I almost never use my phone for anything outside of phone calls and text messaging. So I still see YT ads as a non-issue.

On cable tv if I see ads I tune out. Why would it be any different on the internet? Nobody likes ads, but selling an "ad-free experience" without other added value is just not a deal I'd want. And honestly I can't see what youtube could offer me that I'd want to buy.

Become a Patron!
Back