Infinity Ward Makes 250 GB SSDs Obsolete, as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Hits 246 GB Minimum Requirement

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
call-of-duty-modern-warfare-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Infinity Ward

If you’re a Call of Duty fan who’s thinking about using a 250 GB SSD as a game drive, forget about it. Battle(non)sense has shared an image confirming that Modern Warfare will no longer fit on one, which isn’t too surprising based on Infinity Ward’s enthusiasm for massive patches.

According to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s system requirements page, the minimum storage requirement is now 246 GB. That’s 14 GB higher than a 250 GB SSD’s actual capacity (232 GB).

Is this a moot point, being that many users have migrated to larger SSDs? Maybe, but Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s 246 GB footprint is definitely big enough to raise eyebrows, even on 500 GB and/or 1 TB drives.

Battle(non)sense has pleaded with...

Continue reading...

Holy fing ****e. Thats insane. Imagine having a metered internet connection. Wow...

Imagine leading a COD development team and not having a task to keep install size in check...

I'd love to know what is taking up all the space.

It's not like they are expanding the single player mode with each season.
Or even multiplayer, for that matter. Last I checked there was still only one map for Warzone. The standard maps should not add much space, and weapons should only be a few MB at most. They really need to separate the single player from the multiplayer like they have done in the past. Go a step further and separate the standard multiplayer from Warzone for owners of the full retail game.

Or even multiplayer, for that matter. Last I checked there was still only one map for Warzone. The standard maps should not add much space, and weapons should only be a few MB at most. They really need to separate the single player from the multiplayer like they have done in the past. Go a step further and separate the standard multiplayer from Warzone for owners of the full retail game.

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to install only the part that you play.

I'm pretty sure if you're just playing Warzone you only download Warzone. Not sure if you can only download Warzone if you own the game, but the free Warzone can be downloaded standalone. I'm pretty sure you can if you own the game also.

I'm pretty sure if you're just playing Warzone you only download Warzone. Not sure if you can only download Warzone if you own the game, but the free Warzone can be downloaded standalone. I'm pretty sure you can if you own the game also.
I own the retail game and I do not see the option to download Warzone separately on Battle.net. Battle.net shows you all the free-to-play games and Warzone does not appear in my Call of Duty section.

I'll look when I get home, but I'm pretty sure you can download Warzone IF you don't own the game and it only installs warzone

Stop allowing artists to create 8k textures for guns, bullets, and shell casings. That's got to be it right?

Thinking about this:
The size of the game doesn’t really concern me. Yeah, it’s huge, but that happens as quality goes up.

Storage space is going up to accommodate, which is good news. Maybe not as fast as I’d like, but the fact that I can get a 1TB SSD today for $100, when it wasn’t that long ago that they didn’t even exist for practical prices is progress.

The thing which concerns me the most: downloading this thing. ISPs haven’t kept up on their end. I’m stuck with the nearly the same ISP speed I had back in 2000 if I want an unmetered connection. I can get 10x faster, but it comes with caps that make it unusable for getting something this large.

And I’m pretty sure this doesn’t ship on physical media :sneaky:

So the distribution is still somewhat lacking

Thinking about this:
The size of the game doesn’t really concern me. Yeah, it’s huge, but that happens as quality goes up.

Storage space is going up to accommodate, which is good news. Maybe not as fast as I’d like, but the fact that I can get a 1TB SSD today for $100, when it wasn’t that long ago that they didn’t even exist for practical prices is progress.

The thing which concerns me the most: downloading this thing. ISPs haven’t kept up on their end. I’m stuck with the nearly the same ISP speed I had back in 2000 if I want an unmetered connection. I can get 10x faster, but it comes with caps that make it unusable for getting something this large.

And I’m pretty sure this doesn’t ship on physical media :sneaky:

So the distribution is still somewhat lacking

They should totally bundle this with a SSD drive. "Get your Warzone SSD custom built so Warzone won't fill your system storage. Just plug into an available ESATA or PCI 3.1 port and run the configuration script to set up the game plugins and make it available to your blizzard library. For only 200 dollars you get the GAME and a custom designed SSD Storage. *Please note the art on the case of the SSD drive is custom. No Custom storage technology is in use.

They should totally bundle this with a SSD drive. "Get your Warzone SSD custom built so Warzone won't fill your system storage. Just plug into an available ESATA or PCI 3.1 port and run the configuration script to set up the game plugins and make it available to your blizzard library. For only 200 dollars you get the GAME and a custom designed SSD Storage. *Please note the art on the case of the SSD drive is custom. No Custom storage technology is in use.
I don’t think that would be such a bad idea - use an external adapter to plug it in, could even make it look like a SNES or something. But I’m also sure it would be cost prohibitive.

Become a Patron!
Back