NVIDIA Reportedly Launching GeForce RTX 3080 (20 GB) and 3070 (16 GB) in December

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Early GeForce RTX 3080 adopters may want to prepare themselves for buyer’s remorse. According to VideoCardz’s sources, NVIDIA will be dumping coal into AMD’s holiday stockings by launching upgraded versions of its GeForce RTX 3080 and GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards in December.

These refreshed models will carry 20 GB and 16 GB of GDDR6X/GDD6 RAM (respectively), doubling the memory capacity of the current GeForce RTX 3080 (10 GB) and GeForce RTX 3070 (8 GB) models.

While pricing remains a mystery, we’re going to assume that they’ll run significantly higher than the current SKUs. It’s also unclear whether these 20 GB and 16 GB variants...

Continue reading...

With availability being what it is, most people will get to wait anyway and not have to worry about buying a card right now.

Yeah I can’t see this getting released until there is at least a slowdown in current demand (or rather, capacity can catch up)

it makes no sense to refresh a product that you already can’t supply

If the price of the 3080 20gb is 100 more than the base 3080 I'll be interested. more than that they can eat a d.

Yeah I can’t see this getting released until there is at least a slowdown in current demand (or rather, capacity can catch up)

it makes no sense to refresh a product that you already can’t supply

It's not really a refresh. NVIDIA scheduled it's release later on for a reason.

If the price of the 3080 20gb is 100 more than the base 3080 I'll be interested. more than that they can eat a d.
You may as well be getting the platter ready because there is no way that double the GDDR6X memory is only going to add $100 to the price.

It's not really a refresh. NVIDIA scheduled it's release later on for a reason.
Semantics,

They are updating a product line they can't currently fulfill anyway with new SKUs. Call it what you want.

Semantics,

They are updating a product line they can't currently fulfill anyway with new SKUs. Call it what you want.

NVIDIA hasn't released the full product line yet. They never do it all at once. The theoretical RTX 3080 20GB fits in between the 3080 and the 3090. What's so hard to understand about that? You can't refresh a product line that hasn't fully launched. At least, not without actually replacing a card they already launched, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:
NVIDIA hasn't released the full product line yet. They never do it all at once. The theoretical RTX 3080 20GB fits in between the 3080 and the 3090. What's so hard to understand about that? You can't refresh a product line that hasn't fully launched. At least, not without actually replacing a card they already launched, which doesn't seem to be the case.
Your still arguing semantics.
I’m saying why launch a new card SKU when you still can’t fulfill the current ones. What’s so hard to understand about that.

the “December” part of the OP is what I am questioning. If nVidia has its 3080 supply problem licked by then, then ok, you have a point. But I don’t think they will, and nVidia doesn’t think they will.

Last edited:
I’m saying why launch a new card SKU when you still can’t fulfill the current ones. What’s so hard to understand about that.
Because 20GB versions were already planned.

Im not arguing the existence of the card, I’m arguing against the timing of the release.
They probably planned on releasing them sooner, but it was probably pushed back a bit like the 3070 due to difficulty fulfilling current demand. Remember that AMD's "Big Navi" reveal is happening at the end of this month.

the “December” part of the OP is what I am questioning. If nVidia has its 3080 supply problem licked by then, then ok, you have a point. But I don’t think they will, and nVidia doesn’t think they will.

The RTX 3080 20GB's existence was leaked. We've known about it for at least a couple of weeks. Therefore, the card's release was already planned. We don't know the reason behind the later release, (I have a theory on that), but, it was already planned. Therefore, it's not a refresh of the product line. It's another part of it, which again wasn't and never has been, released all at once.

You can bitch about it being a paper launch all you want. Very likely, there will still be availability problems but they might be less bad by the end of the year, when these cards are supposed to launch. We'll have to see. I doubt the availability issues will be completely solved by then, and neither does NVIDIA. However, that doesn't mean the stock / availability situation won't be better than it is currently.

They probably planned on releasing them sooner, but it was probably pushed back a bit like the 3070 due to difficulty fulfilling current demand. Remember that AMD's "Big Navi" reveal is happening at the end of this month.

I'm sure that's a big part of it. I think NVIDIA is effectively treating the 3080 20GB like it's treated Ti cards in the past. Releasing them after they soaked up additional sales of Titan class cards by gamers with deep pockets, who were willing to pay for the fastest card possible, even if it wasn't entirely built for gaming. One of my big reasons for wanting to go with a 3090 is the VRAM situation. While it shouldn't be a problem most of the time, there could be games in the very near future which need more than 10GB of RAM. I'd rather have more and not need it, than have to lower settings because I don't have enough VRAM.

The 3080 is a step back from the 2080 Ti in terms of VRAM, which was already a step back from the earlier Titan X's I had prior to the RTX 2080 Ti.

But, if I had to bet on why the 3080 20GB will be released in December, I'd say its to allow them to build stock of them ahead of time. Let's not forget, that NVIDIA probably has a good idea of what AMD is doing. While we should find out about Big Navi on the 28th, it may not be until December that availability of Big Navi cards may be in full swing. They may stagger their model release like NVIDIA does, and delaying the 3080 20GB may be a ploy to take some wind out of AMD's sails.

This aint brain surgery.
first, release the vanilla card like you always do, face it, nvidia is a billions of dollars company; they are playing their customers like violins.....start a rumble that turns into an earthquake......then release a different version for more money.
Just so happens to coincide with the release of your competitor......gosh, who'd of thunk that.
Oh yeah, AMD 6900 XT has 16 GB VRAM......I'll see your 16 and raise you 4.

It's kind of a middle finger to everyone who ran out and bought 10gb 3080's though isn't it?

I'm wondering if should cancel my step up to the 3080 10GB with EVGA and try and get a 3090 or wait for the 3080 20GB?

Become a Patron!
Back