NVIDIA Says It Might Take Months before GeForce RTX 30 Series Stock Stabilizes

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-badge-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA fans who haven’t been able to purchase a GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics card yet will likely have to continue fighting an uphill battle well into the new year.

During yesterday’s Q3 2021 earnings call (via Seeking Alpha), NVIDIA EVP and CFO Colette Kress admitted that it could take a few months for Ampere stock to normalize due to manufacturing constraints, as well as incredible demand.

“While we had anticipated strong demand, it exceeded even our bullish expectations,” Kress said. “Given industry-wide capacity constraints and long cycle times, it may take a few more months for product availability to catch up with demand.”

NVIDIA...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now imagine that intel outsources their CPU manufacturing, things are going to be real bad then. TSMC can't keep up now and they don't even do current Nvidia GPU's

Soooo... January/February when the Ti/Super SKUs drop?

" Given industry-wide capacity constraints " ??? It's not me, it is the industry capacity and long lead times problem.

Yeah there are zillions of customers beating on Samsung's door for the same process...

September, October, November + a few more months...

How long are those lead times?

I'm thinking actual stock. I believe they are already manufacturing these instead of the vanilla versions. It's why we are seeing more 3090 cards than we are 3080s, because 3090's aren't being replaced so they can sell them now without worrying about pissing off their entire customer base 3 months later.

Jensen Huang
"And even with our bullish demand expectation and all of the Amperes that we built, which is one of the fastest ramps ever, the demand is still overwhelming. And this I guess in a lot of ways is kind of expected, the circumstances are -- it’s been a decade since we’ve invented a new type of computer graphics."

" Our growth is -- in the near term is more affected by the cycle time of manufacturing and flexibility of supply. We are in a good shape to -- and all of our supply is -- informs our guidance. "

So they expected it.... They are trying to have it both ways.

So, here's the issue.

I'm usually of the opinion that camping outside a store on launch days is for apple fanboy idiots, and that there is little to no value in being "first", and to NEVER feed the scalpers. Just wait until they are readily available. If it is a good GPU (CPU, Phone, whatever) it will be good when it is in regular stock too.

If it is going to be MONTHS though, I might just skip the entire generation. Or probably more likely go AMD this round as I am already on a 4 year old GPU (unless they are equally unobtainable)

If you want to get your moneys worth out of a high end GPU, you really have to get it as soon as possible. it's better to spread $1000 or $1500 over as many months as possible.

I'll still never stand in line or reward an ******* scalper, but I do find it frustrating.

I already skipped last gen because the Space Invaders issue at the 2080ti launch. By the time I was satisfied it was fixed, I thought it was too late in the product cycle to buy a high end GPU. Looks like the same might be happening again, for a different reason.

If it is going to be MONTHS though, I might just skip the entire generation. Or probably more likely go AMD this round as I am already on a 4 year old GPU (unless they are equally unobtainable)

I was thinking the same but on the other hand if future launches will end up the same way, your card will last as long as b4 asyou will have to wait the same amount of time b4 you can buy vs when they maunch but who knows the next gen might have plenty of stock at launch.

By the time the 3k series is truly available, we will be seeing the previews for the 4080. assuming a bunch of people won't feel compelled to buy next gen, it might (hopefully) be easier to get.

Early next year I plan on getting a new card, either a 3080 or a 6800xt, what I can get access to first will be the card I go with.

The UK got enough stock of 3090s this week to actually make a purchase!
One big grin coming next week when it arrives :D

oops, didnt realise I already posted about it in this thread 😊

Last edited:
Now imagine that intel outsources their CPU manufacturing, things are going to be real bad then. TSMC can't keep up now and they don't even do current Nvidia GPU's
Current NVIDIA GPUs are manufactured by Samsung. They are using a custom high-powered 8nm process.

Become a Patron!
Back