AMD Adrenalin Edition 22.3.1 Released with Radeon Super Resolution Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD users who haven't been keeping up with red team's drivers will definitely want to grab today's Adrenalin Edition 22.3.1 release, as the latest package includes a handful of new features that promise to enhance gaming on Radeon graphics cards with improved performance and more.

Go to post

Wow.

So I am amazed how driver updates seem to work on AMD.

With the Nvidia GPU's I am used to I would find my max overclock settings when I first bought them, and then those same settings would remain my ideal settings for the life of the GPU, regardless of how many driver updates I installed.

With my current 6900xt my max overclock settings seem to change violently from driver release to driver release.

With the initial drivers I installed back when I bought it in October it wouldn't overvolt at all. If you turned the voltage below 1200mv it would almost instantly lock up when loaded up.

With these drivers I can significantly undervolt it, but it is also running much hotter than it did before the driver update, resulting in core clocks not getting as high as they were before. With these drives, the best I've pushed in TimeSpy thus far has been a graphics score of 22989, when in the last drivers I could hit over 23400.

Am I really going to ahve to tweak my overclocks and find my sweet spot every single time I upgrade drivers? That's kind of frustrating. It's enough to make me want to go back to Nvidia again.

Wow.

So I am amazed how driver updates seem to work on AMD.

With the Nvidia GPU's I am used to I would find my max overclock settings when I first bought them, and then those same settings would remain my ideal settings for the life of the GPU, regardless of how many driver updates I installed.

With my current 6900xt my max overclock settings seem to change violently from driver release to driver release.

With the initial drivers I installed back when I bought it in October it wouldn't overvolt at all. If you turned the voltage below 1200mv it would almost instantly lock up when loaded up.

With these drivers I can significantly undervolt it, but it is also running much hotter than it did before the driver update, resulting in core clocks not getting as high as they were before. With these drives, the best I've pushed in TimeSpy thus far has been a graphics score of 22989, when in the last drivers I could hit over 23400.

Am I really going to ahve to tweak my overclocks and find my sweet spot every single time I upgrade drivers? That's kind of frustrating. It's enough to make me want to go back to Nvidia again.

Tweaking is part of the game right? Wouldn't you be bored if driver and performance updates didn't do anything for you? I do find it odd that the driver updates are having such a dramatic effect though. So well done on that find. I don't OC (I know blasphemous) but appreciate you hammering at it for the good of us all!

Tweaking is part of the game right? Wouldn't you be bored if driver and performance updates didn't do anything for you? I do find it odd that the driver updates are having such a dramatic effect though. So well done on that find. I don't OC (I know blasphemous) but appreciate you hammering at it for the good of us all!
My days of overclocking for bragging rights of the highest number are long since over.

Don't get me wrong, once done, I'll still share the number for fun, but that's not why I do it. I overclock because I need the performance.

The cycle of tweaking settings, stability testing, tweaking settings, stability testing, etc. etc. is quite frankly tedious as all hell. If I have to do it every time there is a new driver, I'm going to be frustrated as all hell. I already don't have enough time for my computer hobby as it is. To add several hours of tweaking every single time there is a driver update will be a massive pain, even without the performance regressions I have seen.

So what do you do that needs the extra gpu performance from a amd card?

Oh you said need I thought you meant like for work or compiling something or another. Hence my confusion. :)

Ah yes. That is fair.

While I do use this machine for work, my work doesn't really tax the GPU at all. All of my work is essentially just basic desktop output type of stuff.

The GPU is only there for the occasional game. Is it a need? No. Games are just for a temporary distraction.

But if I can't get the GPU to support acceptable framerates, then it has no reason for existing at all :p

Become a Patron!
Back