NVIDIA Announces Hopper Architecture and H100 GPU: TSMC N4 Process, HBM3 Memory, PCIe Gen5, and 700-Watt TDP (SXM)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Is it hot in here, or is it just me? NVIDIA has announced its first GPU based on the new Hopper graphics architecture, the H100, and its specifications sheet is absolutely wild.

Go to post

priced at “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it “

It's a enterprise card for virtualization probably 12 k entry level.

Yeah this is not meant for home use. And $12k is generous. lol

Yeah this is not meant for home use. And $12k is generous. lol
12 K is for the cheap version. I looked at building out some vmware hosts with these and they were recommending 4 cards per host for like 60k+ per host. It was bonkers. Makes the laptops we would have seem cheap... if you figure 9 hosts... at 60k per.. is that cheaper than 2000 laptops? hummm... (not entire company just a subset.) 560k just to give accerlated VDI's. Or.. 1200 per for 2000 laptops. Yea cheaper to do the hosts... lol. But it FEELS more expensive.

12 K is for the cheap version. I looked at building out some vmware hosts with these and they were recommending 4 cards per host for like 60k+ per host. It was bonkers. Makes the laptops we would have seem cheap... if you figure 9 hosts... at 60k per.. is that cheaper than 2000 laptops? hummm... (not entire company just a subset.) 560k just to give accerlated VDI's. Or.. 1200 per for 2000 laptops. Yea cheaper to do the hosts... lol. But it FEELS more expensive.

Unless I had a team of engineers that needed that kind of processing power I can't see using these for VDI. We have a stack of Tesla cards in a few hosts designated for processing super high resolution medical imaging systems. I want to say they were something like $25k each.

Become a Patron!
Back