The Witcher 3 “Better” than Dragon Age: Inquisition, Says Former BioWare Studio General Manager

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Are you a gamer who prefers Dragon Age: Inquisition over The Witcher 3? Strangely enough, the guy responsible for overseeing the development of BioWare's critically acclaimed 2014 action RPG would be unlikely to agree with you.

Go to post

Kind of makes me wonder what going to the UE for the next witcher game will have for consequences.

You have to hope the engine is easier adaptable to their vision for the game then adapting their own one, guess we will find out in a decade orso.

Kind of makes me wonder what going to the UE for the next witcher game will have for consequences.

You have to hope the engine is easier adaptable to their vision for the game then adapting their own one, guess we will find out in a decade orso.

Just a guess as to how it will go ...

tracks.jpg

Not sure if a more accessible engine would've helped Dragon Age Inquisition that much. A lot of the gameplay in the game was filler-style content, I remember some of the maps felt like a boring slog (especially the tedious DLC content). Witcher 3 on the other hand, every quest in that game felt involved and its DLC only improved the game (B&W being easily as strong as the main campaign).

That's not a high bar. To this day I Do not understand why Inquisition was so well recieved. It is an MMO disguised as a single player game, tedious and boring, where the main quest is overshadowed by all the repetitive collection and fetch quests. And it's showing all signs of wokism, before wokism was trending on twitter.

Last edited:
He didn't necessarily say Witcher 3 was better than DA:I. He said Witcher 3 benefited ("was better") from not shipping on XBox 360 and PS3 and having to deal with the limitations of those platforms.

I've never played DA:I, so I can't personally say one is better than the other. Witcher 3 is pretty **** good, though.

I didn't know DA:I released on XB360 or PS3 either -- but apparently it did, even though it was released more than a year following the PS4/XBone generation.

As a game, I would say DA:O was my favorite, but DA:I wasn't bad. I did like it better than W3, but that's mostly just that I never could get into Witcher for some reason - I would acknowledge that W3 is regarded as one of the best games (or at least shortlisted as such) of all time by many.

I mean, yeah, filler, but DA: Inquisition was still a decent game. And while comparisons with TW3 are valid in the ballpark sense, they're still rather different games.

As for UE5, I'm betting that the main draw is the portability. Devs can focus on content - their strength, otherwise rather uncommon in the industry - while using a first-class engine to keep the visuals up along with compatibility.

I'm betting the CP2077 fiasco really put a damper on their internal business case for using their home-grown engine.

I mean, yeah, filler, but DA: Inquisition was still a decent game. And while comparisons with TW3 are valid in the ballpark sense, they're still rather different games.

The witcher has it's fair share of filler but also has more original content, but as you said they are different games, and even if both have their flaws, they are both worth playing imho.

Become a Patron!
Back