Intel Acknowledges Bending and Warping of 12th Gen Core CPUs, Says It’s Expected and Advises Against Modifications

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has responded to an issue relating to its 12th Gen Core processors, whereby the elongated design of the CPUs, when coupled with the pressure and force of the LGA 1700 socket, could result in bending, warping, or bowing of the integrated heat spreader, reducing optimal surface contact with coolers and increasing temperatures by around 5C.

Go to post

"Expected"

In the same context that it's "expected" when dealing with extra terrestrials to receive a bonus anal probe.

download.jpg

I have yet to see this issue with my 12700K. First I had it paired with a Noctua air cooler and now an AIO. Haven't seen any of this "warping" issue.

Seems like it would be very dependent on the heatsink you have on top. A decent one with good coverage it seems would help keep the spreader in place by applying sufficient pressure evenly across the IHS -- you wouldn't necessarily see it warp until you pulled the HSF off.

Seems like it would be very dependent on the heatsink you have on top. A decent one with good coverage it seems would help keep the spreader in place by applying sufficient pressure evenly across the IHS -- you wouldn't necessarily see it warp until you pulled the HSF off.
The Noctua cooler I had originally was very good at coverage and when I took the cpu out I seen no warping. I guess time will tell if the Z73 I'm currently using does the same.

If you're warping the heat spreader thats some serious heat you're pumping through a piece of metal. Like very serious heat. I love how the answer is. "Oh running out cpu is your box caused the metal heat spreader to warp.. oh thats totally expected. We made it that way on purpose.

Last edited:
If you're warping the heat spreader thsts some serious heat you're pumping through a piece of metal. Like very serious heat. I love how tje answer is. "Ob running out cpu is your box caused the metal heat spreader to warp.. oh thsts totally expected. We made it that way on purpose.
It ain't heat - the LGA1700 socket clamp itself is bending the IHS. CPUs are 'long', and the clamp is focused in the middle of the IHS on the long sides.

If ever you thought closing an LGA socket took too much pressure, let me assure you, LGA1700 is on another level!

It ain't heat - the LGA1700 socket clamp itself is bending the IHS. CPUs are 'long', and the clamp is focused in the middle of the IHS on the long sides.

If ever you thought closing an LGA socket took too much pressure, let me assure you, LGA1700 is on another level!
If the heat spreader is flexing like that... could you ever move that cpu to a different motherboard?

Become a Patron!
Back