Apple to Remove Apps and Games That Haven’t Been Updated in Two Years

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Apple has implemented new App Store guidelines that may result in the removal of apps or games that haven't been updated in two years. One of the first potential victims of the new ruleset is Protopop Games, whose free title, Motivoto, is in danger of being dropped from the App Store for going years without an update.

Go to post

Makes sense to me.

From what I understand - if you own this stuff, you can still get it. It just won't show as available for sale any longer. It wouldn't take much to keep an app "updated" if a Dev wants to keep it on the storefront - 2 years is a long time, and you only need to bump it with any random change at all - could just be updating the copyright year for all that it matters.

Makes sense to me.

From what I understand - if you own this stuff, you can still get it. It just won't show as available for sale any longer. It wouldn't take much to keep an app "updated" if a Dev wants to keep it on the storefront - 2 years is a long time, and you only need to bump it with any random change at all - could just be updating the copyright year for all that it matters.
as long as it is still selling, otherwise it's going to cost more then bring in, apple does not check your apps for free from what I heard.

as long as it is still selling, otherwise it's going to cost more then bring in, apple does not check your apps for free from what I heard.
Actually it doesn't cost anything. You pay for your developer license / certificate ($99 US/year, free for education) - but apart from that, there is no cost per app, and no cost per update. That's part of what that 30% take pays for. And if your app is free - there is no posting fee.

I could see vendors updating the APP with 'security reviewed date of xx/xx/xxxx'. It would feel good to end users and keep Apple happy at the same time and possibly bump them up in the charts too.

Microsoft: If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Microsoft's motto should be:

Users: We like that feature and use it often!
Microsoft: Take it apart, hide it's functions, make it a pain to access, until they no longer use it! Then remove it due to lack of demand.

Become a Patron!
Back