Tomb Raider and Deus Ex Lifetime Sales Revealed Following Embracer Acquisition

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Embracer Group announced that it would be purchasing Square Enix's western studios today (i.e., Eidos Montreal, Square Enix Montreal, and Crystal Dynamics) in a deal worth $300 million, and with it comes along new insight on how lucrative two of the biggest franchises that the Japanese gaming giant has sold off might be for its new owners.

Go to post

Hmm that's dissapointing that 2 Deus ex games sold less then CP2077, tought they were more popular than that.

Hmm that's dissapointing that 2 Deus ex games sold less then CP2077, tought they were more popular than that.
It's been several years since we've seen a Deus Ex release, and not many games period got the advertising and media attention that CP2077 did prior to it's release.

I'd say I'm somewhat surprised the studios sold for only $300M. Eidos was bought out for $130M back in '09, and that was before most of their breakout AAA releases, and Eidos was a publishing company very much on the ropes. Today it has a lot of successful releases, a Marvel license, and the IPs that are transferring with the sale are all pretty well regarded.

Granted, I have no idea how much Avengers and GotG cost the studio to put out - the terms of that licensing deal could have been crippling.

I think the writing has been on the wall for TR for a while now. TR, a beloved franchise that goes back many moons, is not the same TR that many of us grew up with today all due to wokeness.

Get woke, go broke!

Selling the companies doesn't mean the franchises are dead, on the contrary I see this as an opportunity to revitalize and inject new capital into them. The only way I see this going wrong is if they try to push cryptobro bs. Or "Do you guys not have phones?"

Gaming has seen a huge upkick in sales in recent years. The DX games came out before the boom. For example Mass Effect 2-3 also "only" sold 12 million copies combined as of 2020. Yet those are considered some of the most successful scifi games ever.

Never heard of Embracer, but I never did like that Squeenix owned the TR and Deus Ex IPs. Hopefully the new owners will treat these IPs much better. Or is that too much to hope?

Could've been worse. Tencent could've bought them.

Never heard of Embracer

I didn't recognize the name either, but I do remember their previous name: "THQ Nordic".

I'm glad with the move, felt like these series weren't getting the push they deserved/needed from Square Enix. I also think this puts Square Enix in a more affordable position for Sony to purchase.

Never heard of Embracer, but I never did like that Squeenix owned the TR and Deus Ex IPs. Hopefully the new owners will treat these IPs much better. Or is that too much to hope?

Could've been worse. Tencent could've bought them.
They are the ones that bought Gearbox a bit ago, and have been on a year lately with acquisitions.

Remember the new years letter from sqaure enix president? They made their choice. So it's a good thing that they sold their best franchises.

Wikipedia said:
Square Enix stated that the sale was needed to cover its planned investments into blockchain-related technologies, and to "assist the company in adapting to the changes underway in the global business environment by establishing a more efficient allocation of resources".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix#Post-restructuring_(2013–present)

The paragraph containing the above-quoted text was followed by two citations that link to the following articles:

Just noticed that the forum software automatically parses bare URLs (i.e., those without user-defined titles) and generates a preview. Neato.

They are the ones that bought Gearbox a bit ago
Aaaaahhhhh.

Also now I see they came from Nordic Games, and then I remember when THQ-Nordic was a thing. They own Koch Media and Saber Interactive. So yeah I do actually know who Embracer Group is, I just didn't recognize that name.

Aaaaahhhhh.

Also now I see they came from Nordic Games, and then I remember when THQ-Nordic was a thing. They own Koch Media and Saber Interactive. So yeah I do actually know who Embracer Group is, I just didn't recognize that name.
TBF Embracer group sounds more like a supervillain gang than a trustworthy company. THQ-Nordic was a much better name.

Become a Patron!
Back