GIGABYTE Launches Exchange/Refund Program for Z690I AORUS ULTRA Motherboards, Graphics Cards Running in PCIe 4.0 Mode May Result in Instability

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
GIGABYTE has launched an exchange and refund program for its Z690I AORUS ULTRA motherboards for 12th Gen Intel Core processors after discovering that they may not play well with certain graphics cards that are connected and being run under the usual speed settings.

Go to post

Good to see they are stepping up and doing the right thing. Was always a big Gigabyte fan, but this and my own hardware issues with them had me go in a different direction.

Gigabyte when I started in pc building was basically the only game in town for dual bios motherboards and boards with solid hardware. I guess it's the ebb and flow of hardware.

Gigabyte when I started in pc building was basically the only game in town for dual bios motherboards and boards with solid hardware. I guess it's the ebb and flow of hardware.
There is no point in history where that was true. GIGABYTE heavily marketed dual BIOS ROMs as a thing, but it wasn't the only company to offer it and the need for it was definitely overstated. Plus, at the time you are probably referring to, GIGABYTE hardware was dragged down by its abysmal firmware.

There is no point in history where that was true. GIGABYTE heavily marketed dual BIOS ROMs as a thing, but it wasn't the only company to offer it and the need for it was definitely overstated. Plus, at the time you are probably referring to, GIGABYTE hardware was dragged down by its abysmal firmware.
I should have said I recall. Lol. Gigabyte had good hardware but not great bios. Then again at the time bios updates were much slower. Thete was no vendor application to manage hardware at least on what I could buy some 25 years ago.

What is up with the Z690's having problems? The ASUS Rog Hero z690 had an issue a few months ago as well where their MOSFITS were burning out.

I should have said I recall. Lol. Gigabyte had good hardware but not great bios. Then again at the time bios updates were much slower. Thete was no vendor application to manage hardware at least on what I could buy some 25 years ago.
I have a Gigabyte Z390 and a B550 board that are both - well, good. Hardware and BIOS are solid. But Z690...

What is up with the Z690's having problems? The ASUS Rog Hero z690 had an issue a few months ago as well where their MOSFITS were burning out.
That was a clear fluke. A high-profile one to be sure, but not one that you'd expect to happen, and also not one that you'd expect to happen again.

Less talked about is their early-batch Apex Q/C problem, which amounts to quite the mess for the folks that have tried to use them.

Overall, I don't think any manufacturer has come out of Z690 'clean'. MSI is probably the closest, but the shear number of new technologies being introduced or revised between Alder Lake and DDR5 has been a real challenge.

On the other hand, I've been able to get my G.Skill 5600 C36 kit with Samsung ICs running at 6200 C36 - and this on a four-slot MSI board. Tons of voltage and extra cooling are involved, of course, but it's been running well for a few weeks now across my personal workloads.

I think we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I've had very little problems with my Z690's besides a possible memory/board issue with a Aorus Z690 Master. Now I have used an Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4 board and now an MSI Edge Z690 board and both have been rock solid boards with memory and slight overclocking, though the Aorus board felt cheap even though it wasn't a budget board. I may give DDR5 another try at some point, but it will probably be with Rocket Lake if I do.

I have the DDR4 version of this board. It kept randomly dropping audio for about 1 second using HDMI on a 6600XT, but seems fine with a 1080. I guess I'll be getting a new board from Gigabyte.

Become a Patron!
Back