NVIDIA Hiring Software Engineer to Work on Next-Gen Graphics Developer Tools for Game Consoles

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA has revealed via its LinkedIn page that it is seeking a software engineer to "pioneer the next generation of Graphics Developer Tools for game consoles," a potential indication of green team bolstering its current squad in preparation for new hardware and/or software for an unannounced gaming system.

Go to post

The problem with Nvidia in this space is they don't have the same consistent level of improvement that AMD is known for. They release a product and it performs great but that's it that's the product and how it performs. They rarely see improvements year on year.

NVIDIA has revealed via its LinkedIn page that it is seeking a software engineer to “pioneer the next generation of Graphics Developer Tools for game consoles

So, screw hiring a competent SW engineer to finally optimize their broken drivers that still have issues:

Audio drop-out when playing back Dolby Atmos OVER a year later

Continued ShadowPlay issues, etc.

Or, what about NVIDIA's other unstable software like BroadCast, NVIDIA's abandoned GameStream (thank goodness for ML), GFE issues (FPS counter, Ansel, GFE still fails to scan and read all local games, etc.

Yeah, NVIDIA is not known to be "excellent" in software as to every one NVIDIA's team bug fix, its team will break 5 at the process.

Nothing good will come out of this until NVIDIA gets rid of its major problem which is its lazy/inferior current software team.

So, screw hiring a competent SW engineer to finally optimize their broken drivers that still have issues:

Audio drop-out when playing back Dolby Atmos OVER a year later

Continued ShadowPlay issues, etc.

Or, what about NVIDIA's other unstable software like BroadCast, NVIDIA's abandoned GameStream (thank goodness for ML), GFE issues (FPS counter, Ansel, GFE still fails to scan and read all local games, etc.

Yeah, NVIDIA is not known to be "excellent" in software as to every one NVIDIA's team bug fix, its team will break 5 at the process.

Nothing good will come out of this until NVIDIA gets rid of its major problem which is its lazy/inferior current software team.
I rarely read things like this, typically what you find is green phallus fluffing statements.

The problem with Nvidia in this space is they don't have the same consistent level of improvement that AMD is known for. They release a product and it performs great but that's it that's the product and how it performs. They rarely see improvements year on year.
I actually thought it was the relationship with partners. Once nVidia gets into your pocket they squeeze for everything they are worth. At least that's what I've heard, I have no data to back it up.

This was allegedly why Microsoft didn't consider them for any consoles after the original Xbox. Every console developer counts on their production costs being able to go down over time. nVidia counts on their margin going up over time. It just doesn't tend to work out. Same story with Sony / PS3.

I guess you could point to the Switch and say - well, what about that? In that case, Nintendo is using a stock SOC with no custom modifications that nVidia was having a really hard time finding a home for. I doubt Nintendo gets any sweetheart deals after that initial run of overstock parts is burned through, but who knows.

Become a Patron!
Back