Square Enix to Share New Final Fantasy VII Announcements Next Month

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Square Enix is planning a series of Final Fantasy VII announcements next month to celebrate the fan-favorite RPG's 25th anniversary.

Go to post

Who even cares what Square Enix thinks or does anymore.

I feel like they just sold off their only relevant assets to Embracer Group two weeks ago.

Now they are completely irrelevant to gaming.

Square/Enix, to me, was all about three franchises:

Tomb Raider was iconic. One of Eidos's cornerstones. I mean, who can forget the pointy boobs, and for the time, how that level of polygon 3D graphics were off the charts.

Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest. From Enix. I only really played through one of these - the original. I got it for free with a subscription to Nintendo Power. It was the first JRPG I ever played, and one of the first video games I stuck with until beating it, and one of the first games I continued playing after beating in order to dominate it. But the series has many, many franchise entries, and is very popular in JRPG realms.

And lastly would be Final Fantasy. From SquareSoft. I've played almost all of them, beaten about 2/3 of them. Dragon Warrior introduced me to the genre, but it stuck with Final Fantasy. FF14 alone is worthy of an entire novel talking about it's history. I won't defend each individual title as great, but the series as a whole is certainly iconic.

So, I suppose, as long as Final Fantasy sticks around, contrary to it's name, I'll probably stay interested. A shame they didn't see the value in the Eidos assets - those were pretty much all the western-style games they published, but I guess if they want to double down on Japanese/Asian-centric titles, at least they are defining their niche and targeting it.

Who even cares what Square Enix thinks or does anymore.

I feel like they just sold off their only relevant assets to Embracer Group two weeks ago.

Now they are completely irrelevant to gaming.
Have you not heard of Final Fantasy XIV? It's a massive income stream for them and large in the market. Currently it's the 100ton gorilla of MMO's.

Have you not heard of Final Fantasy XIV? It's a massive income stream for them and large in the market. Currently it's the 100ton gorilla of MMO's.

Well, far be it from me to make the mistake of "my experience is everything" but I may have underestimated how big it is.

I've never played it. I don't think I know anyone who plays it.

I think maybe my old college roommate back in 2000 played something in the series.

I want to say it was final Fantasy 7? I vaguely remember the basic 3d character with huge spiky yellow hair and a comically oversized sword.

1652986545500.png

That was the only even remotest run-in I ever had with the Final Fantasy series.

Maybe final fantasy is big in Japan? I just don't run in to it here stateside.

1652986673300.png

Like, I literally don't even have a picture in my head of what a Final Fantasy title looks like, except for that blocky yellow spiky haired dude above.

Last edited:
I have heard of final fantasy, I never played any of them originally. But I was curious, so I asked a few FF fans one or two years ago what's a good entry point into the franchise for a newbie and they recommended games, that looked and played worse than classic Westwood and lucasarts point and click adventure games. Despite being much newer than those. I noped the F outa there quickly.

Become a Patron!
Back